[vb_main_1]

How should I quilt this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should I quilt this?

I love piecing but....the quilting is a real challenge for me. I have six tops and two table runners that need to be quilted so thought I would start with the smallest. I am most comfortable with hand quilting or using my walking foot. Any suggestions on how to finish this table runner would sure be appreciated.

My creativity doesn't run very strongly toward the actual quilting but I am sure someone else will have ideas for you. I just wanted to say that I like the pattern--it is a very nice table runner.

Comment

Simplest option would be to diamond cross hatch it all over, following the four-patches. Slightly more complicated, diamond cross hatch it in pairs of lines 1/4" apart, but placed 1/8" either side of the four-patch seams.

Comment

You might consider printing the picture several times in black and white, or just putting it in a plastic sleeve and use a dry erase marker or maybe a Crayola wash-away would work, and practice putting different lines and motifs on to see what you like. Echo-quilting with the walking foot 1/4 away from the seams would look really nice.

Comment

Debbie you can do beautiful quilting without using free-motion quilting. For example if you google quilting stencils you will see all sorts of lovely designs done with a walking foot. For example, basket-weave cable, diamond cable etc., I think Rosemary's suggestion is a good one. The piece is saying diamond cable to me - you could make it 3 diamonds and then rectangular or curved cables in between or something like that. I try to do as much of my quilting with the walking foot as possible so that I can keep the frustration to a minimum. I did a couple of quilts recently and used a diamond cable in the borders with my walking foot. And if the curve is gradual then you can use the walking foot for that too. But I would definitely start with SID around all the seams, after which anything you add will be a bonus because it will already be quilted enough by then. Show us when you are done won't you?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will start with stitch in the ditch and go from there. I think I might be able to do the diamond crosshatch. Thanks.

Comment

I just signed up for a class on Craftsy that shows all sorts of quilt designs using the walking foot. I much prefer using my walking foot, especially for larger pieces.

Geneva
              Geneva

Comment

I bought that Craftsy class, too, Geneva, and it was very informative.

Comment

I just put it on my wish list--guess I should buy it while it is on sale. It looks really good.

Comment

When the block is geometric, I always use circular or curving motifs. And, if the block is applique, I use lines, cross hatch or hanging diamonds around the applique. You can mark with a HERA and if you like the look, actually quilt it. For examples see Michelle Yeo's Stars Upon Stars Quilt. You have beautiful colors and work! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by shoeboxquilts
                      When the block is geometric, I always use circular or curving motifs. And, if the block is applique, I use lines, cross hatch or hanging diamonds around the applique. You can mark with a HERA and if you like the look, actually quilt it. For examples see Michelle Yeo's Stars Upon Stars Quilt. You have beautiful colors and work! Good luck.
                      Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I have it sandwiched but haven't quilted it yet.

:?: Here is another question. Is it always necessary to stitch in the ditch or can you use other designs without doing stitch in the ditch?

Comment

Ditching Every Stinking Seam (ESS), as Cindy Needham likes to say, makes for a nicely finished quilt. I've just been looking at your table runner again. If you Ditched the whole thing and then quarter inch edge stitched the design in the blue parts, all with your walking foot, you would have a very nicely quilted runner. You could always add more, but IMHO you won't need it. The back will be as fabulous as the front, obviously reflecting the piecing of the front.

Comment

Debbie, I just went back and look at your table runner again and I think you would be able to make the brown triangle stand out a little more if you stitched in the ditch. They seem to be getting lost in the rectangles. It could just be the way my computer is showing the color. Just a thought.

Comment

I think if you are doing an overall pattern I wouldn't ESS, only if you're a perfectionist which everyone else here is It takes ages and with me causes bulges because i can't then ease the fabric.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Debbie,
                              How about using a twin needle? one needle going in the ditch and the other needle would be just outside ......you can get different width needles and you could probably use your walking foot.
                              Anne

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 61 users online. 0 members and 61 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X