[vb_main_1]

Specific size for competition quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specific size for competition quilt

I am making a quilt for the Cherrywood Wicked challenge that requires the finished size to be 20" square.

I have two questions: 1) if they don't mention that it needs to be exact, how close to 20" should it be, and 2) if I want it to turn out at 20" should I cut the body a bit less so that when the binding goes on it will come out to 20", and what size would you cut the body? I plan to use a typical 1/4" binding and I know that it adds a bit to the overall size. I am thinking about cutting the body to 19 3/4". This is the first time I have done this, so I would like to get it as close as I can.

Originally posted by Groverquilts
    I am making a quilt for the Cherrywood Wicked challenge that requires the finished size to be 20" square.

I have two questions: 1) if they don't mention that it needs to be exact, how close to 20" should it be, and 2) if I want it to turn out at 20" should I cut the body a bit less so that when the binding goes on it will come out to 20", and what size would you cut the body? I plan to use a typical 1/4" binding and I know that it adds a bit to the overall size. I am thinking about cutting the body to 19 3/4". This is the first time I have done this, so I would like to get it as close as I can.
    I don't have a lot of experience, but I think it needs to be exact. when I entered my quilt last year (in another show), it had to be 24X24, so I actually made the top a little bigger to account for the shrinkage when quilting. Also, the binding is not supposed to add to the quilt, since it covers the edge of the "sandwich". After it was quilted, my design allowed to have it cut down to exactly 24 X 24, and the binding just covered the edge - barely adding the thickness of the two-fold fabric.

Hope that helps. I'll be reading with great interest the experience of other quilters!

Andrée

Comment

Originally posted by AndreeBergeron
      . I'll be reading with great interest the experience of other quilters!

Andrée

This is my biggest challenge for Quilt Alliance entries...how to get it exact. It's a PIA. I'm going to do the best I can. I don't think they will reject the entry if it is 1/4 " too big, I just may not win Andrée her machine. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by suehenyon
        Originally posted by AndreeBergeron
        . I'll be reading with great interest the experience of other quilters!

Andrée

This is my biggest challenge for Quilt Alliance entries...how to get it exact. It's a PIA. I'm going to do the best I can. I don't think they will reject the entry if it is 1/4 " too big, I just may not win Andrée her machine. :lol:
        PIA? What does that mean?

I'm sure your quilt will be gorgeous! I desperately need this machine!

Andrée

Comment

Andrée -- PIA means "Pain in the A*s. I left out one 's' to be lady-like. LOL

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
          <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

OK, thanks.... ops:

Comment

OK, Ms. Grover,
              I've just sent off a message to some folks at Quilt Alliance with your question, but perhaps some more people on TQS (lots!) who have entered BIG competitions will render their opinions (hear this BJ?????)

Is there a link to the Cherrywood competition rules site where you could ask your question?

Comment

I have often told some of my students that sewing is not an exact science. You should do your best to get to the right size. If the size is "no larger than", I will usually aim at about 1/2 inch smaller. If the size is supposed to be a specific size, neither smaller nor larger, I cut the quilt just a small amount less...perhaps not even a full quarter inch, and then add the binding snug around the quilt. They aren't going to reject it if it is pretty close, but I would aim to the slightly smaller than slightly larger. Does that help?

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

I found this really interesting and oh what a relief!

" Hi, Susan! Thanks for writing. We set the size requirement and expect folks to follow it but we never measure these quilts, and the judges are seeing them virtually, not in person. So, I can’t speak for the judges, but my sense is that it’s probably more noticeable if the edges are not square or one side is longer than another, than if it’s undersized/oversized by a small margin. Size would never be a reason we would eliminate a quilt from the auction. The only reason I can think of, actually, is if there it were so poorly constructed or fragile that we thought it might not withstand shipping. And that’s never happened.

I don’t know how the professional shows do it—whether they get the ruler out and so forth.

You’re safe with us and we’re really grateful to have your support!!
                  Best,
                  amy

Amy E. Milne
                  Executive Director
                  Quilt Alliance
                  http://www.QuiltAlliance.org
                  828-251-7073 office, 919-604-6264 mobile
                  mailto:amy.milne@quiltalliance.org

125 S. Lexington Avenue, Suite 101
                  Asheville, NC 28801

Quilt Alliance Core and Partner Projects:
                  Quilters' S.O.S. - Save Our Stories
                  Go Tell It at the Quilt Show!
                  The Quilt Index
                  Quilt Treasures"

Comment

This is all very timely information thanks Susan. I am thinking of entering a quilt for the Quilt Alliance too but was just wondering the same thing about the size. Great information.

Comment

All, this is a great conversation. Usually when I enter a show, I am looking for a size category, so this is very different. Thanks everyone for your info. Karen

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 80 users online. 0 members and 80 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X