[vb_main_1]

Parting with an old sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parting with an old sewing machine

I have a problem. I don't want to give away my old sewing machine which is a circa 1970 Singer in a furniture cabinet that folds out. If my new computerized machine breaks I could have the old one tuned up and use it. I feel like a part of me (It was my mother's) is being given up. They don't make em like they used to. I suppose if my fancy machine breaks I could buy a Janome Jem for about $500. Can anyone share my pain. We may have move to a smaller place and I feel like it's a security blanket. I think of it as a possible way of making a living as well. What do you think?????

Jan, if the machine still works, I would keep it. You could leave it set up for a straight stitch for piecing, and use your computerized machine for every other sewing. Or you could close it up and use the furniture cabinet as a desk and have the machine as a backup if you ever need one. Of course, this opinion is from someone who has 5 working machines and 4 which need repair ops: ops: :lol: :lol: . I am also very sentimental about family items. (I lost my parents when I was young, so I would keep anything that belonged to them.) This probably isn't much help, just how I feel. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

If you can possibly fit it in to your smaller space, you might want to keep it. Sometimes those older machines are lifesavers when you are in the middle of a project and your new machine needs to go to the shop, and sometimes they can sew over more layers of fabric if, for instance, you decide to make bags or jeans, or sails for your boat.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Absolutely keep it. It makes a great table and then you have it if your new machine denies to work

living in Central Denmark
        Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thank you Peoples, I had already decided to keep it. My husband understands and in exchange I will have to dejunk the house and get rid of some other clutter. I think I will take it into the shop to make sure it is in good working order this summer. I made one awesome small bag with it and may have used in on my husband's quilt even though I had my new machine at the time. You never know how it might come in handy someday. I had given away my small card table and it's another useful item I will have to replace some day. Thanks again, Jan

Comment

My DH thinks my sewing table is and end table--it keeps him from complaining so you might think about using it that way.

Comment

Hi Ritzy, LOL an end table. My best friend called me from far away,( where she moved) and convinced me to part with it. I hope it blesses someone else much more than it would have helped me. Sometimes you have to realize you can't hold on to things. In my case that's what I need to do is let go. Thanks everyone for giving me permission though. Love you guys. Jan

Comment

I sold my first sewing machine, also from 1970, to a neighbor but kept the cabinet. I'm hoping to get the cabinet repaired from water damage when a tree fell on the house I grew up in after I had moved out. I'd also like to make it work with another machine if possible. For now it's in storage. I also have my mother's machine in a cabinet that I learned to sew on. I doubt that I will ever part with that. And yes those old cabinets make nice pieces of furniture. Since I upsized instead of downsized to a larger workroom I have space for all of the cabinets.

Comment

My husband wanted to buy a new machine for me, but I love my 1970 Singer. It does everything I need and the only feature it lacks that I'd have to have in a new machine is the needle-down feature. I had never had a problem with it until recently, so it was worth getting it repaired. So, I bargained with my husband that I'll get a new machine when he gets a new car-he doesn't want to part with his 1996 Ford Explorer.

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

I got rid of my 1965 Singer Touch & Sew as I always had tension issues. But I kept my 1972 Bernina 830 and still have it. But I USE my Janome 6600! And now have a 1920 or so treadle ready to sew (given by a friend). I'm wondering if the treadle will be quiet enuf for TV watching? We'll see.

Comment

I sold my old Kenmore to a friend and have regretted it ever since. I miss the old girl.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 29 users online. 0 members and 29 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X