[vb_main_1]

Quilting on a vintage treadle machine?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting on a vintage treadle machine?

I have recently had a very intriguing request that involves my making a show quilt, or at least doing some part of the quilt (one of my blue print/line drawing quilts) using an historic vintage 1898 Singer Model 15 treadle machine. I'm thinking I could do some part of it, which would fulfill the concept the owners have in mind. I just don't know how this would work. Do any of you have experience quilting on a treadle? Is it accurate? Can you stop it easily? I have sewn on a treadle and had trouble getting it to stop, but I think maybe I didn't have the technique down, and it would be in my home for a time, so I would have time to practice first. I will tell you more about this when I can. Trust me, it's intriguing.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

I have no experience with treadle machines but want to learn so I am eager to learn from your request.

Comment

OK Lois. I have decided I will probably do this and will write an article or something about it complete with pictures. I was hoping there were quilters out there in TQS land who could give me some pointers.

Comment

Great idea! Have you checked out the Treadle On website. I was there a long time ago but haven't been there recently.

Comment

Funny you should mention this BJ because I just spent the morning trying to quilt on my grandmother's 1927 model 15 treadle machine. I can tell you that with a generic darning foot I was able to free-motion quilt happily on a sample. I reduced the pressure on the presser foot quite a lot and it worked perfectly. There is no way of dropping the feed dogs (as far as I know) but I FMQ'ed along happily with them up. I did not have a problem with stopping - I just hold onto the balance wheel when I want to stop suddenly. The main thing is that you always turn the balance wheel forward not backward and give it a turn toward you to begin stitching. I was pleasantly surprised at how even my stitches were. The harp space on a treadle machine is much bigger than most standard machines which was why I was anxious to give it a try. I could not get the walking foot to work because the screw at the side of the presser foot shaft was too big and got in the way so I might need a different kind to the one I have. I think you will need to practice a bit to get used to stopping with the needle down and getting going again without creating a jig in the stitching but I am certain it is doable. Good luck with the project.

Comment

Rita, Exactly the kind of suggestions I am looking for. I am going to have time to practice with it before I have to quilt on it.

Comment

Lois, thanks for that site hint...it appears to have lots of good instructions.

Comment

Same as Rita. I have just acquired a treadle and find the same thing as I haven't sewn on one since the 1950's. It's what I learned on..............but i'm pretty electrified now! ha

Comment

Well, I think this project could be quite an adventure. Here's hoping I can do the stops and starts and all the stitches in between. I'll let you all know how this goes, but it might be a while. :shock:

Comment

One of our members has (had) a collection of over 100 treadles and knew how to repair and use all of them. Haven't seen her around here for quite awhile, but did see she had an entry at Quilt Festival in 2013. Name? It escapes me! She lived near Freeport, TX.

Comment

community/my-profile/pknord
                      I think this is who you mean.
                      Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

BJ, I am thinking you will try to contact that TQS member and ask her to put her 2 cents in here. Hope she joins in.

Comment

She sure has made some fine looking quilts!

Comment

I will try to contact her and ask she put her two cents in here.

Comment

I have a treadle, but haven't used it for quite a while. I don't see any problems that cannot be overcome with practise :wink:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 33 users online. 0 members and 33 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X