[vb_main_1]

Using Quilt Backs for Piecing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Quilt Backs for Piecing

I am planning a quilt that needs 6 yards of one fabric just for the front. (And, of course I am modifying the pattern, so I may need closer to 8 yards!) I can get the fabric I want in a quilt back, which will save me about 25 to 30 percent of the cost. Is there any reason not to using quilt backs on the front? Does this differ by manufacturer?

In case anyone is wondering, the pattern is Midnight Bloom by Pieceful Expressions: http://www.piecefulexpressions.com/M...oom-PEX028.htm

I would order/buy a small amount of the backing to test it. Washand press it and then piece with it. If you like how it handles then go for it.

Sometimes wide backs are not made from the same quality of greige goods so testing is the best way to know.

HTH

Comment

Well, the backing fabric I have seen at LQS seems to be more loosely woven so I wouldn't order any unless I saw it and felt it. Just my opinion. I am sure there are more out there.

Comment

I've used quilt backing fabrics for piecing several times, with no problems. As long as you have a good quality backing, it should be fine. The suggestion to wash and test it is good if you have any doubts. It will definitely save you a lot of money compared to 45" fabric, if you need a lot! You might want to cut it into more manageable sizes before cutting out your pieces; that wide fabric can be a little unwieldy! Good luck!

Comment

I love using 90" or 108" wide fabric for long borders and sashings to avoid having seams in them. They are also great for straight bindings with minimal seaming. I've only used good quality fabrics and did not notice any difference. I keep my eyes peeled for extra wide remnants, usually they sell at 50% off retail, to save even more money.

Since I use a lot of white-on-whites, I buy them whenever I see them in the remnant bins and rarely buy them off the bolt. They all blend well together in quilts. I probably used eight or more different white-on-white fabrics in my Stars for a New Day quilt displayed in Show&Tell.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 33 users online. 0 members and 33 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X