[vb_main_1]

Janome Horizon problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janome Horizon problem

I am having a problem with my Janome Horizon. When I go into FMQ mode using the D1S any needle I try to use breaks immediately unless it is a 90/14. Am I expecting too much from the machine? My dealer/maintenance guy says I should stick to 90/14 needles and stay in Utility or D1 mode. This is not what is written in the manual. Obviously I would like to use smaller needles particularly if I am using invisible or a 60wt thread in the top. Is anybody else having this problem?

I use a 6600 and was having similar problems. My sewing machine guy suggested I use size 14 or 16 needles regardless of the size of the thread. I thought he was nuts, but ever since I changed to the size 14 needle, I have not had one problem. He pointed out that longarmers typically use size 18 needles. His theory was that when you are FM quilting, the needle has a tendancy to flex, and the larger the needle, the less it will flex. I guess when the needle flexes, it can cause the thread to twist and break.
    Back to Quilting!

Comment

That's interesting Janet. It's not so much the thread as the needles that are breaking, but I can see the logic in using the bigger needles. How do you get around the big holes it leaves in the fabric though? Do you just stay in D1 rather than D1S if you are going to use a smaller needle? Thanks for your speedy response.

Comment

I assume I am in D1. I will look for sure when I get home. I haven't noticed any issues with holes in the fabric. By the way, I am using Organ needles. I used to use Schmetz, but since the Organs seem to be working, I am sticking with them.
        Back to Quilting!

Comment

Thanks Janet. Best needles I ever used were Organ 75/11 ones but we can't get them here anymore. I will try to find some on th'internet.

Comment

Very interesting! I've always used Schmetz needles. When I received the new little Babylock BL9 that I recently won, it had an Organ needle in it, so I immediately replaced it with a Schmetz needle, thinking the Organ was inferior. With the two of you recommending them, I will give mine a try this weekend at retreat! Thank heavens for TQS and it's followers, to get me outside of my bubble, and educate me! :lol:

Dawn
            In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

If I remember right, Superior needles are also made by Organ. They're a high quality brand.

Comment

Rita, if you are still having problems why don't you e.mail Janome head office and speak to one of the techies I found them very helpful when I had a problem with my 6600.
                Anne

Comment

Thank you Anne, I will. I spent the day yesterday trying all sorts of different things to see if it would make any difference . The only thing that did was removing the needle plate with the adjustable single-hole attachment and replacing it with one I had from which I had removed the single-hole attachment because I managed to break it within the first few weeks of having the machine. (I forgot I had it in position and tried to do a decorative stitch. ops: we live and learn, sometimes in a expensive way!) It's heading back to the repairman again today and hopefully he will be able to confirm that and not something else more expensive. :roll:

Comment

If you've had a jam up, you might have thrown the timing off a bit, which should be an easy fix.

Comment

Rita, i am so eager to hear what your technician says about your machine. Keep us posted. I still think calling Pam Holland is a good idea. I know she also had a 6600 and that she loved that one. She loves their FMQ capabilities. I took 3 courses from her at AQS Lancaster 2013.

Comment

I will keep you posted Lois. My machine is still with the technician and I am waiting patiently... :roll:

Comment

I have not had the problems you are describing on my machine, knock on wood. I know Pam raved about the free motion capabilities of the Janome's and her needle of preference was 60 because of the small holes it would leave in the quilt. The only problem I've been having is one that will test any machines limits I think. I am making some bags and attaching handles and bindings all at the same place is causing skipped stitches. I was just doing the math in my head the problem area had 2 layers of stable stuff, 10 layers of quilting fabric and some fusible on one of those layers. I might need an industrial machine for that. I just thought of 4 more layers of fabric where the outside handle attaches. It's the Beatle Bag that was featured in the Daily Blogg a little while ago. Any suggestions on how to manage this challenge.

Comment

No suggestions, but your bag is beautiful!

Comment

Lois, I'm wondering if you ever sew all of those layers at once, but I'd definitely use a jeans needle, a size 100 or more, go slow, and, use a bump jumper. I'm sure there's a better name, but I know it ships with Berninas...the white rectangular silicone thing to put under the back of the presser foot as you stitch over a thick part so that the presser foot stays level. If you are straight stitching, a straight stitch foot and throat plate will help support the needle, too.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X