[vb_main_1]

Thread curls

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread curls

I just bought a spool of Superior's Masterpiece thread and it is wonderful. However, I'm having a problem that I've never had with a thread before. When I'm done stitching a seam and cut the thread, the thread that remains on the machine curls up. Reminds me of curling ribbon or a pigs tail! I have to grab it and hold it staight out...and not let go!... before I start the next seam, otherwise it makes a thread nest under the fabric. I tried to wind it on the bobbin more loosely, but that didn't work. Besides, it is both the top and bottom thread that's curling. Does this happen to anyone else?

Penny,
    I've never had that problem and Masterpiece is my main piecing thread. I would give them a call, maybe you got a funky spool.

Frances

Comment

I've noticed this with both Masterpiece and Aurifil. I wonder if they're possibly winding too tight?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I'm getting that with Aurifil 40 wt cotton while I work on my BOM. A "starty-stoppy" might help, but I just pull a bit of thread out, the other thing that helps is to keep sewing with no fabric in the machine for about a half an inch, which kind of secures the threads together.

Comment

I usually use a "starty-stoppy" (a little piece of fabric) to avoid thread nests. I think Alex demonstrated it on one of the shows.

Comment

Since I'm not the only one with the problem, it must be caused by my machine. I'll fiddle with the tension and see if that helps. If others don't have the problem, it probably isn't inherent in the thread itself. starty-stoppies make me crazy, but I bet they'd work too.

Comment

I have them but don't find them debilitating. Bonnie Hunter has put the use of starter pieces of fabric to great success with her Leaders and Enders quilts. Google search for this. You can make a 2nd quilt while you make the first quilt :lol: :lol:

Comment

I've used starty-stoppies for a long, long time but when I learned of Bonnie's Leaders and Enders
                system...that was icing on the cake !!

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
                  I've noticed this with both Masterpiece and Aurifil. I wonder if they're possibly winding too tight?
                  I experience the exact same problem with these threads

living in Central Denmark
                  Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

I've noticed the thread-curling issue on Masterpiece thread that I recently purchased. I'm thinking it must be the new thread, because I've never had that problem before.

Comment

I'm wondering if it's just thin thread. It seems to me that DMC embroidery thread does this, too.

Comment

I sometimes have this too and I think it's is caused by stretching the thread when you pull it out to cut it when done sewing. Pulling out and to the side flexes the needle a bit also and that's not good for the needle either. When you pull the fabric out to cut it, you are just pulling all the thread without the benefit of the machine parts moving like they do when sewing, so it is a bit like a rubber band - it stretches and then when the cut is made, it springs back - only with thread it curls.

Try using a leader/ender or gently pulling the thread strait back to get enough out to cut it. If you put the pressure foot back down before you cut, then it should hold the cut end in place and not let it curlycue so much.

Comment

That sounds like a reasonable explanation of the problem, Michelle. However, the project I'm working on is raw edge applique and I can't use leaders and enders. I've never had this happen with thread before, though. I do pull the thread to the side a lot, so that really could be the problem. I'll pay more attention in the future.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 70 users online. 0 members and 70 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X