No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Using clear thread -- what all do I need to know?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using clear thread -- what all do I need to know?

For my latest quilt top (pic below) I'm 99.9% certain I want to use clear thread for the quilting. It will still be just straight line quilting, but as I don't want red lines down Mario's face, or blue lines across his hat, or..... I think clear is the way to go.

My quilting mentor has told me stick with Superior's version, don't put it in the bobbin, be careful of any strings that come loose (though she and I think my son is old enough this won't be a huge issue). What else? I've heard someone say they've had it melt in the dryer and come apart.......is that an issue with all clear threads, or only poorer quality?? Should I dry only on low heat just in case?

anything else I need to know before I use this stuff?? I'm going to -gasp!- set this quilt top aside until the next US trip (3.5 wks!) and then buy the thread over there, as well as backing fabric, etc. Meanwhile I'll finally sash and piece together my diary quilt (the blocks are done.......).

This is the collaboration with my 8 yr old He designed it, very specific ideas on what goes where, etc. and is thrilled the top is done, now waiting waiting waiting for the quilting to be done. And that's the 3rd and final son, so time to sew for myself a bit before I start a quilt for my hubby

You can't tell in the photo, but every single element is outlined in a zig-zag stitch. Some of it is applique (machine), so those had the outline already, so then the rest looked unfinished in comparison. So, outlined it all. WAY overbought the thread! eek. Don't tell my husband, LOL! I have a LOT of thread left over! Future projects..... LOL!

It's made up of 5" squares (they finish at 4.5" each). I am very glad to have it done! Oh!! so, advice on using the clear thread????

What a cute quilt! I recommend using Monopoly from Superior. I have a post it note with mine as a reminder. It says to loosen the top tension to 2. Use a 70/10 needle. Use Bottomline in the bobbin. Monopoly won't melt when ironing or in the dryer. I am sure you can read about it on Superior's web site. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaGramma
      What a cute quilt! I recommend using Monopoly from Superior. I have a post it note with mine as a reminder. It says to loosen the top tension to 2. Use a 70/10 needle. Use Bottomline in the bobbin. Monopoly won't melt when ironing or in the dryer. I am sure you can read about it on Superior's web site. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.
      excellent! thank you!!

Comment

The difference with Superior's MonoPoly thread is that it is Polyester. Most other monofilament clear threads are nylon. It's the nylon ones that cannot take any heat (iron or dryer) and will get brittle and yellow over the years. MonoPoly comes in clear and smoke. I'd use clear for the lighter fabrics and smoke for the darker ones.

You will need to loosen your tension alot - perhaps even less than 2, you'll need to test it with your machine and the bobbin thread you are using. Bottom Line is good in the bobbin, but you can also use a thin poly like So Fine 50 wt. Do use a smooth bobbin thread rather than a cotton which has slubs that can catch on the monofilament. Also it's best to sew a bit slower than usual.

Comment

Heather,

Love the quilt looks like a Nintendo or Lego character to me something my GS would design!

I agree re Superior's MonoPoly and Bottom Line for the bobbin.

Barb

Comment

Not got anything to add about threads, but that is a great looking quilt.

Comment

The only invisible thread we can get here is YLI and I just looked at the bottom to see if it was polyester and it is nylon. Crap!

Heather that is a great looking quilt - you go from strength to strength. I look forward to seeing it quilted.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbCA
                Heather,

Love the quilt looks like a Nintendo or Lego character to me something my GS would design!

I agree re Superior's MonoPoly and Bottom Line for the bobbin.

Barb
                Barb, yes, it's a Nintendo character -- the older version of Super Mario ah, the delights of making a quilt for an 8 yr old boy! LOL!

Thanks for the compliment and the tips on the thread!

Comment

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll definitely do a test run with the thread to figure out tension and all. I haven't tired Bottom Line before; I do have some So Fine 50 which I love. I'll get some of each and try them out in my test piece.

It feels very odd to set this top aside while I wait to get the right thread! This is the first time I've finished a top (well, since I got my machine) that I've not just immediately started quilting! But, I am going to work on another UFO while I wait.....3.5 wks until we head to the US, then we are there for about 4 wks, and then back here to quilt this lovely

I'll post "after" pictures sometime after that. Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement --- Rita, you made my day, "you go from strength to strength..." -- thank you!!! (although, my quilting mentor said the YLI thread is good, so maybe they do something with their nylon that keeps it safer...)

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                    The only invisible thread we can get here is YLI and I just looked at the bottom to see if it was polyester and it is nylon. Crap!
                    Rita, for what it's worth, I've been using YLI for over 20 years, and don't have problems with it. I understand the theory, but I have NEVER had an issue with "melting" when I iron it and I'm still regularly using a quilt that I made in 1992 and don't see any more breakage on that one than another one quilted with cotton thread, so don't just throw out your YLI monofilament!! Switch to MonoPoly when you can get some, but go ahead and use the YLI until then!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Rita, perhaps you could run some tests to see how hot you can iron it before it gunks up the iron :P Although thinking about it, I haven't heard of people ironing finished quilts :wink: which just leaves the tumble drier (if you have one) or several very hot sunny days - naah, probably not the last one 8) :lol: - to cause you problems with surplus heat to the thread.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Nothing to add here but agree with Margo....I've used miles of YLI and Sulky without much problem. One or two ops: !
                        Hot iron directly on thread...small quilt in very hot dryer....my fault ops: ops: Monopoly is just a better product and I'd
                        switch when you can. Tension issues can take some work to overcome depending on the machine you use...I generally
                        go back to my older Viking as Big Bernie really gets cranky with it and I get cranky with her !! :x :evil: :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by idaho
                          Nothing to add here but agree with Margo....I've used miles of YLI and Sulky without much problem. One or two ops: !
                          Hot iron directly on thread...small quilt in very hot dryer....my fault ops: ops: Monopoly is just a better product and I'd
                          switch when you can. Tension issues can take some work to overcome depending on the machine you use...I generally
                          go back to my older Viking as Big Bernie really gets cranky with it and I get cranky with her !! :x :evil: :cry:
                          All good things to know, Marilyn

My Janome is pretty good with tension so far. I've easily gone from junk polyester thread here in Brazil to King Tut to So Fine to Masterpiece, with just a little nudge on the dial one direction or the other and no worries so far. Hopefully the MonoPoly will be just as cooperative

Comment

I must say that I use some YLI invisible thread on part of my mug rugs and the thread did not last the steaming. I use it in combination with Charlottes fusible thread which have to be set with a hot (and I prefer steam here). But finally I like that it goes away, sometimes by itself, sometimes I can pull bits and pieces out, because It is just a temporary seamline I create with it. Just wanted to let you know that the iron can be too hot for it.

living in Central Denmark
                            Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Margo that is a relief to know as I have used it quite a bit so far. I will definitely change to monopoly as soon as these two spools run out. This has been a very informative thread for me too so thanks for starting it Heather. BTW on my Janome I would usually reduce the top tension to about 1.5 for invisible thread. I have never had a problem with any thread on this machine but my Pfaff is a lot fussier. Hurray for Janome!

Rosemary, I do have a tumble dryer and I do tumble my quilts but have never had anything melt there. I did have a Superior Rainbows thread melt under my iron once - but I had to throw the iron out because it was overheating. As for hot sunny days here....not that frequent but last week in Kerry....

Pity I didn't have a quilt with invisible thread to test outside. :lol:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 119 users online. 0 members and 119 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X