[vb_main_1]

Quilting with Minky

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting with Minky

I am in the process of making my soon to be born new grand daughter's bedding set. I just completed the top and had leftover minky that fits. However, I have heard all the horror stories about it. I wanted to put it on the back. Any suggestions on not losing my mind with this product. Any and all suggestions would be very helpful. You guys are the best.

I guess you are already aware of the FUZZ FACTOR when you cut the stuff!! :lol: :roll:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Used it for many quilt backs....here are some tips:

If using a machine with rails be sure to load the selvedge edge perpendicular to the rails - pin the cut edge. This helps with stretching as those selvedges are tighter and more stable than the cut edge. Try not to put much tension on the rollers - and I do mean much. If you make it so tight it is flat it will bunch up after quilting. Think of a slight hammock. I also find that poly threads work better on Minky - fewer tension issues.

If using a domestic machine my best advise is to pin baste the heck out of it!!!!!!! If you are going to add a batting a cotton batt works best - helps with the stick to it factor.

Good luck.

Comment

Besides the fuzz, it seems like the quilt I did with Minky on the back worked really well. It was much easier to use as the backing for a quilt than it was for making the stuffed Teddy bear I also made!! Like Linda suggests, I used a cotton batting and it stuck together nicely. I found that the Minky slid well on my table so it moved more easily than I expected when quilting with my DSM.

Nancy

Comment

I made a small comfort blanket (20" x 20") eight years ago while pregnant with my DD. I used four squares in yellow, pink, purple and green to make a four patch. I used a baby print flannel cotton that my mom sent from Mexico as the top and quilted a sun/moon design from a stencil. I didn't use batting. Quilted it with my bernina 440QE and didn't have a problem at all (other than the fuzzies when cutting the minky). I used sateen ribbon as binding and attached it by machine with a decorative stitch. Till this day my DD still sleeps and carries "Little Blanky" all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
            I guess you are already aware of the FUZZ FACTOR when you cut the stuff!! :lol: :roll:
            At one of the LQS's here they call that Minky Poop.

Comment

Thanks you guys for all the suggestions and giggles, I got her done tonight, minky poop and all. LOL Will post pictures soon.. Sharon

Comment

Beautiful little quilt, Limbania!

Sharon - I just read last night in a magazine that one thing you have to watch out for with Minky is that if you are using the kind with the little bumps or other texture, then you might have to watch out for heat. I guess the texture is added by heat and can go away if the fabric is ironed or goes in a hot dryer. If you used that kind of Minky, you should test a bit of the fabric in the dryer so you know whether the quilt can go in the dryer. I don't have any experience with this kind of Minky, but read it in Machine Quilting Unlimited.

Looking forward to the pictures!

Nancy

Comment

Thank you and you're right Nancy, the bumps will go away after washing and drying. Originally the minky I used for Little Blanky was the bumpy/bubble kind. Long time gone, but still soft and cuddly.

Comment

try Glad Press & Seal........a plastic wrap with grippers on one side. I have not used it on a napped fabric, but it is worth a test. mark your quilt design on the wrap, press it over the area to be quilted (it should adhere to your fabric with no residue). it tears off easily, and gives you a smooth surface your machine will glide over.

Comment

I have only used the Minky in blocks. It is a beautiful soft fabric, but needs a lot of TLC. Very stretchy, fuzzy and slippery. I had to use 1/2 inch seams. As for the back no clue except to try not to stretch it out of shape. think of it as on grain being as unstable as bias.. So baste the living crap out of it..

Comment

Great that you got your quilt done. Yea for you.
                        I do not mind working with Minky. I am doing a bigger baby quilt right now and I am using Minky on the back without batting. I spray basted and other than a little adjusting in the border I am not having any issues at all. I would not be afraid at all to work with this again. My friend that is a longarmer recommended not using a batting if I want the child to just fall in love with it. I have adults that I show this quilt to and they just cuddle and snuggle it. I will post when done, maybe this weekend.
                        Diane in Wyoming

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 36 users online. 0 members and 36 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X