[vb_main_1]

free motion feet

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

free motion feet

I have a spring type free motion foot that I really don't like because it is so noisey. I found a foot in my machine box and it has an open toe but no spring on it and it attaches just to the shank. I tried it in fmq and it works great I think. So my question is , do you have to have the foot that has the spring on it?

You can do FMQ without a spring foot. I agree that they are too noisy.
    I have a Viking.

Coast of South Carolina USA
    Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Thank you Pam for your quick response. I also have a Viking. Glad to hear I don't have to use the spring type foot!

Comment

If you don't want to use the spring type foot, you could try reducing the pressure on the foot so it doesn't press down so hard on the fabric. I have done this successfully (you will need to check your manual to find this wheel/knob thingy - I have a Janome and it is near the thread bar that goes up & down at the front, but I have to open the access panel to the left to see it)

Comment

Try oiling the spring to see if that reduces the noise. They shouldn't be making any kind of noise as you stitch.
          If the noise is a distinct thunk I'd take it in for service because it should not be making that type of noise.

Teri
          Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

You can wrap an elastic band around the top of the spring to stop it. I think it's Leah Day who advocates that and bending the bar back out of the way :shock: click link

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I have a transparent, oval shaped, darning foot that works great for FMQ because I can see through it. I find the regular open-toe metal one sometimes gets caught in a stich depending on how much I am sewing. I also like using the closed-toe darning metal foot. Mine are all for Berninas but I am sure they exist for other brands.

cheers
              Jeanine

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Here is a long ago post by Ferrett, an award winning quilter. http://forum/i-need-quilting-related...otion-quilting

Comment

'Free Motion Feet' - a good description for my DH dancing. :lol:

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
                    Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's perfect. I have one of those one too Rita! :wink:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X