[vb_main_1]

machine quilting over applique

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

machine quilting over applique

I plan to surround a Texas Star with accuquilt feather applique. I am on a bit of a time restraint and do not really want to have to sew around each one. Has anyone just stitched over them? They will be fused down. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Also, thanks for all the great advice. I just joined in November and I have enjoyed being a "voyeur". :roll:

Shelley

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Hi Shelley, welcome from the shadows of the forum. I am sure that I have seen quilts with applique that have just been stitched over. In fact I think Margo may have posted a photo of one of hers some time back. If you use invisible thread or a very fine thread in a neutral colour then it would probably be fine. But I am not expert.

Comment

Hi Shelley! If you are talking about not stitching around the fused applique, I would NOT recommend skipping that step. I don't do much fusing, but I think that eventually, whether the quilt is laundered or not, the edges will come loose, especially if it's a quilt to be used rather than hanging on the wall.

If you are talking about quilting across fused (and secured) applique, I think that's fine.

Comment

Or you can use the quilting to secure the edges of the applique. Saves lots of work

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Brilliant idea, Wendy!

Comment

I was hoping to do stippling with a neutral thread and thought that if I did this over the entire quilt top, it would work instead of stitching around each individual feather part. I know this is probably not the best way. It is for a charity raffle quilt.

Comment

I think you have to assume that the fusible won't last, and decide if the quilt will be okay with the appliques held on just by the quilting. If your stippling is tight, this is probably fine even if the quilt will be washed. If it's a very loose stippling then you probably want to do the extra stitching.

Nancy

Comment

I do a lot of quilting on applique quilts, although not fused, and as far as using it to hold down the fused applique, it would help if each star is "stippled" through touching the edges as much as possible. Also definitely use a THIN thread in a neutral color (try a grey) depending on your colors. I always machine quilt using 60-100 wt. Good Luck!

Comment

Here is a pic of the first quilt I ever made. Notice that my ducks can no longer fly! They were fused with a temporary adhesive and stitched around, but not quilted over. I will make sure any applique I do in the future (The Two of Us?) is much more secure.

Comment

It's time consuming to use the blanket stitch on applique. My suggestion is that you free motion sew a straight stitch just a bit inside the edges. This will give another look and the outer edges can fray over time but the applique will not fall off. It gives a bit more whimsical look and I don't know if that goes with your quilt.

living in Central Denmark
                    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thank you all for the great advice. I will post a pic when it is done. I appreciate all the help.

Shelley

living in Central Denmark
                      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 182 users online. 0 members and 182 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X