How would YOU quilt this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would YOU quilt this?

Hi everyone!

I'm still a bit new at this and would LOVE some advise. I have a long-arm quilter and this is my first full-size quilt (super nervous!).

The questions are:
    --how would you quilt it?
    --what color thread would you use (top and bobbin)

Captions below pictures give explanation.
    ]
    This is the quilt top

This is a close-up of the top

This is the back (pic is a bit blurry)

I was thinking about doing this as an overall.

Thank you!!

Nothin' at all wrong with that !! :wink:

Comment

With all those wonderful Kaffe fabrics and a very linear design you are absolutely right to use a curvy quilting motif. Not much is going to show so you just want some wonderful texture. I would use a light value neutral thread so that it won't be glaringly visible on your white fabric.

Have fun and show us the result!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I agree with Margo. I always choose a neutral color thread with a multicolor quilt that will be getting an allover pattern on it. I'd audition light tan, khaki and an oatmeal type color. If you wanted to go funky, take a look at lime green!! Lay a bunch of thread out in a puddle across the colors and see which one you like best, esp on the white.

I like the double bubbles. Just be careful not to get them too small or too dense. About the size of a half dollar would be my minimum, probably larger. (I am looking at my coffee cup as I am typing and I like that size circle - about 2" aross, that leaves a bit more room for the double loop.) I also would do some loops single and some double to add a bit of interest.

Please post pics when you are done!

Comment

Try out those thread colors as Michelle suggests...I sometimes like the varigated color in the white and
          it sort of blends into the prints better than a lite neutral... softens it a little. It's all personal taste !

Comment

Ohh...yeah! Lime green!

Comment

I am not qualified to make a suggestion, I just wanted to say that I think your quilt is lovely. Very modern.

Comment

I like the quilt and I like color so I am going to say that the thread that you used for your sample would be wonderful on your quilt. It won't show in the colored rectangles and it would add some interest in the white areas. Of course, that may make it too busy for you so I will suggest what Margo always suggests--make a small sample and see if you like it.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do! I'll be making a quilt soon using the same fabrics but with a different design that will be a graduation quilt for my niece. Mine will have to be finished by May 2014, so I can watch what you do first.

Nancy

Comment

Very interested in this thread as I just bought 4 x ( 2 for 1 priced) = 8 charms packs on sale of the Kaffe fabrics. I'm making a mystery quilt out of some of them, paired with various soft shaded polka dotted fabrics with white. I'm interested in you showing a picture when you are finished. Please

Comment

Super sorry this took so long to finish! I had a few other projects that jumped in front of this one. But this morning I finished and WOW do I think everyone gave me fabulous advise! The quilt is called "Simply Fun" and that describes it perfectly--simply fun to cut it (all but the white was done from pre-cut strips), simply fun to assembly it, and super simply fun to quilt it!

1) The lime green thread is one shade lighter than actual lime green--close in color, but when I auditioned lime green and the next shade lighter, I liked the lighter a bit more.
                      2) I'm not talented enough to make bigger circles (as suggested), so I made them more the size of a half-dollar. I do think larger circles would have been better, but I'm so new at this that I have to do what I CAN do.
                      3) The lime green thread on the back was so fun!
                      4) Just to mention, the binding is a bright red (red on red small circles).

Thanks to everyone! Your support and encouragement is an essential part of my quilting!

Comment

Candy it looks fabulous!! Good job!

Comment

It looks great Candy, well done!

Comment

Great looking quilt, Candy, and considering all the holidays etc. done reasonably quickly too.

Comment

Beautiful and fun quilt Candy. The name fits perfect.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 196 users online. 0 members and 196 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X