[vb_main_1]

What to use in the sleeve to hang the quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to use in the sleeve to hang the quilt

I just finished putting the binding on a quilt I designed and made and am ready to put a sleeve on the back. It is going to be hung "museum style" with a board around the wall and wire hanging down to attach to the back of the quilt. I am not sure what to tell the people hanging the quilt to put in the sleeve. I thought I would make the sleeve in two sections, leaving a space in the middle so there would be three wires to hang the quilt. I want the quilt to hang straight. Does anyone have any suggestions for what would go in the sleeve? Thank you.

I would use a piece of wooden dowling then you can screw hooks in the ends to take the wire. A batton would work fine as well. :? Wood curtain pole? but that would be heavier.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Hi Wendy,
      Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I am concerned about a wooden dowel because it would cause the top to be rounded instead of hanging flat. I am looking for something sturdy enough not to bow in the center and to hang flat from the binding.

Comment

How wide is this quilt? That would determine if you need a heavier rod or not.

Do you have Home Depot or the like nearby? They have all sorts of things that can be used.

I have a quilt that is about 50" wide and it uses a flat wooden piece about 1/4" or 3/8" thick and 2" tall x 48" long.

I bet you can find a piece of metal that is sturdy enough not to bow and is not too thick and about 2-3" tall to fit in a sleeve. I forget what that kind of flat metal is called but any good hardware store could figure out what you want and find something that would work.

How does their wire attach to your rod? Do you need eyelets or picture hook things or a hole drilled at each end? or will they wrap the wire and knot it? Does the rod need to stick out or is it to be about 1" shorter than the quilt so it's hidden?

Comment

Thank you for answering me. The quilt is 66" wide and 84" long. I am going to tell them to make the rod 2" shorter than the quilt so it does not stick out. It is going to be the only quilt hanging in the area -- there are many paintings on the walls. I am going to have to ask them about the way the wire attaches -- whether it should be drilled or will it be wrapped and tied. So glad you asked me. I was not sure if a flat wooden piece would be able to hold the quilt, given its length, without eventually bowing.

Comment

When you make the hanging sleeve make it so there is extra fabric to accommodate the sleeve. I'm sure there are instructions on the forum of how to do it. Here's a link click here

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Thanks for replying. I have made a hanging sleeve before and I am okay with that. My concern is what to put in the sleeve since the quilt is so large and, therefore, heavy.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 44 users online. 0 members and 44 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X