using rocking stitch for hand quilting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

using rocking stitch for hand quilting

Hello,
    I need some suggestions please. I am using the "rocking stitch" method to hand quilt on my Grace z44 frame. I love the frame and have no problems with stitches moving away, toward or diagonally from my seated position. However, I am having difficulty with stitches that move horizontally to my position. Even though I have attempted to change my body position nothing seems to help. The result is that my wrist keeps "breaking" with the stitches and now has pain so that I must stop quilting for a while (oh no!). Any tips on how to use the rocking stitch when quilting horizontally?
    Thanks,
    Cherie

Hi cheri, I don't really have a suggestion based on experience, since I have only hand quilted one quilt, a wall hanging. Can you quilt with your thumb? I think that alex shows how to do that on her tutorial videos.

I've only quilted in a hoop that I can turn, not on a frame.

kathy

Comment

Cherie,

Have you tried using your thumb instead of your finger? I move my chair to the left or right of the quilt and use my thumb as much as I use my finger.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
      <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Hello,
        Thanks for the tip. I do use my thumb but - a "duh" moment - I don't think I used it to quilt horizontally, just "away" from my position. I will give it a try. I am taking a class with Deidra McElroy in November on hand quilting so I hope that will help too. Thanks again, I will let you know if it helps.
        Happy quilting,
        Chere

Comment

Do let us know how it goes with the thumb quilting and also your class. She is a hard-core hand quilter, she probably has lots of answers.
          kathy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 261 users online. 0 members and 261 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X