[vb_main_1]

How much is enough on a wool quilt?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladyquilter
    whereas my Bernina that I adore for piecing stomps her feet, throws a fit, and spits the fabric right out of her mouth! :shock: Thank goodness for having two machines in my household. Oops... I mean three machines if I count my Featherweight.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you sure you only have 3 machines? There was a thread on the forum a while back where everybody was admitting to how many sewing machines they have. Quite an eye opener! :lol:

Renata, thanks, glad you like it. I just couldn't pass the stall with these wool fabrics at them during the Knitting and Stitching show in Dublin last November. When I was a child my Aunty Bee made us a quilt from old woolen skirts and jackets which I loved and which my mother gave away as soon as we all left home. Unfortunately the same company, Magee's, were also at the IQFOI ops: But I will probably not make another big quilt with that bundle. Although I have to say that wool is beautiful to hand stitch, and the needle goes through it and the wool batting like butter.

Comment

Rita - Your quilt is just beautiful and the quilting is perfect! The colors are just so incredible!! I'm glad you son loves and appreciates it. I just love making things for people like that, which is why my mom gets so much stuff. I get pretty attached to everything that I make, but it's no problem to give them up to someone who cares! What a jewel of a son! You've gotten enough advice on the quilting, so I don't have anything to add. But I know that whatever you add to it will just make it shine more!

Nancy

Comment

Rita, your quilt is beautiful! The advice you have already received sounds right on, I just wanted to tell you how much I like the quilt. And your son will be so warm and comfy when he uses it. The colors are wonderful!
        Kathy

Comment

Nancy and Kathy, thanks so much for your kind comments. And Nancy I know what you mean about becoming attached to it....at least my son won't be moving out any time soon so I will have enough time to get sick of picking this quilt up off the floor. :lol: I was not very adventurous with this quilt but that was because I didn't want to waste a scrap of fabric. I might be a little more 'flathulach' (pronounced flaw-hoo-lock - Irish word for extravagant) with the more recent wool purchases. 8)

Comment

And if you need an appreciative home for your next wool quilt, I have a nice cold house in the mountains of Colorado that would make the perfect home! I'm just saying....

Comment

Originally posted by rehak
              And if you need an appreciative home for your next wool quilt, I have a nice cold house in the mountains of Colorado that would make the perfect home! I'm just saying....
              :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

I posted about this quilt before but I must have forgotten to hit "submit". It is gorgeous. I love wool and I love these colors. I'd follow Margo's advice. My advice was to follow the manufacturer's recommendation, but I wouldn't have thought about the diagonal lines creating a greater distance than you might think. I learn something new here all the time. It's very, very nice. Lucky boy!

Comment

Thanks Lois. It's true there is always something new to learn here. I am so glad that I posed the question because I have already started to add lines between the lines and I can see that it is going to create less shifting. I will post a photo when I am finished. Thanks everybody for your speedy responses.

Happily quilting into the small hours in The Kingdom (Co Kerry, Ireland)...

Comment

Just want to say it's wonderful. I think you'll be very satisfied when you finish additional quilting.

living in Central Denmark
                    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

i love the quilt!!

living in Central Denmark
                      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thanks Norma and Beckyezra. Yes it has begun to look better already!

Comment

So I stitched away happily late into last night and again this morning and got about 1/3rd finished. Then I had a terrible realization....I don't have enough thread :shock: I thought I had two more spools but I must have used them :| I got the thread here in Dingle but when I went back to the shop this afternoon they were out of it and won't be getting in any more and were generally not very helpful. :x So I came home and started to search online only to discover that Coats in the Uk have been dissolved (guess they must have been soluble threads :lol: ). But I did find a website that still seems to be selling their threads so I have order more and hope that they can fulfill the order. So I am halted in my tracks until next week sometime.
                          This is how it's looking now: the front

And the back

Comment

It looks great! Good luck with the thread! It's beautiful.

Comment

Lovely quilting Rita, it enhances it further but how annoying running out of thread.

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                              Coats in the Uk have been dissolved (guess they must have been soluble threads :lol: ).
                              :lol: :lol:

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Looks great with the extra quilting!

BarbCA

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 328 users online. 0 members and 328 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X