[vb_main_1]

Backing your quilt with fleece?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing your quilt with fleece?

Has anyone used fleece to back their quilts?
    I am making a lap quilt for a friend and I've pinned the two layers together, should I stabilize it in any other way?
    Your comments would be appreciated
    Anne

I've used both flannel and polar fleece with no additional stabilizer and no problem. I found the polar fleece more difficult to pin through and also to whip stitch through, but it was worth it for the finished product! Is that the type of fleece you mean? My top was commercial cottons.

Nancy

Comment

Thanks Nancy,
      I have made lap quilts before but could not remember if I pinned the layers together or spray basted it, I will have a go at quilting it,I'll just a stipple all over, I will let you know how I get on
      Anne

Comment

I have used fleece to back my quilt--with no batting--and while it stretches a bit I have had no real problems and those who have received those quilts--love them.

Comment

I am making this lap quilt for my dearest friend in Tasmania who has terminal cancer, I can't be with her at this terrible time as I live in UK so thought a soft fleecy quilt would comfort her, it's a hug from me
          Anne

Comment

Go for it, Anne! I have made lap quilts without batting and back with fleece. I pinned the two layers and used a walking foot, sewing quite slowly in order not to pull or distort the fleece. The results have always been mega-cuddly!
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Hi Anne - I included batting in my quilt since my house gets really cold in the winter and the quilting was fine. I quilting mine completely free motion, including some spots with very detailed quilting, and didn't alter my approach in any way. I thought it quilted like butter! And I absolutely LOVE how cuddly the final resuilt is! Your friend will be wrapped in warmth and hugs!!

Nancy

Comment

Hi everyone, sorry I've been a bit absent just lately, haven't had time to scratch my you know what. I'm wanting to do a couple more rag blankets for my grandkids for christmas, and was just wondering, can you use polar fleece? I was going to do a mix of flannelette and polar fleece, but don't know whether it would work or not. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comment

For rag quilts you need a fabric that frays easily, such as flannel or a regular cotton or homespun. Polar Fleece is polyester and designed not to ravel.

Comment

Just made a rag quilt for a doggie friend, I used cotton on both outer layers and polar fleece instead of batting. Rags up very nicely and the polar fleece makes it all nice and soft and cuddly... Think this doggie will like his x-mas prezzie.

Comment

I do that often on baby quilts and also charity quilts. I then don't have to include batting. Works great.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 36 users online. 0 members and 36 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X