[vb_main_1]

How to focus a class?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to focus a class?

OK, some of you already know that I have been asked to work up a prospectus on a possible class for my local fabric store (G Street Fabrics at their Centreville VA store). So anyway, there are a number of ways I can go on this and my chief concern is to figure out a project that will be doable in the time I will have plus give them some techniques that they can take to other projects. I wrote a personal blog about it. I would love your feedback either from a student's perspective, a teacher's perspective, or just a comment.

Here's the link. http://blog.bjfabricartist.com/

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

One good technique used by the British Army for training squaddies is summed up by.-

"First you tells them what you are about to tell them.
    Then you tells them.
    Then you tells them what you told them"

or more formally 'an introduction to the subject', 'the subject', and finally a 're-cap of the subject'

Another good thing to keep in mind is KISS - Keep It Simple S......

A major thing to watch out for is timing - how long have you got for the lesson? How long would it take for you to do? (and add on at least half as much again, maybe double the time) Something you have the knack for doing really easily, might be completely awkward for someone else the first time they are faced with it. If it is relatively easy (?) make sure that you have some extra options for the speedy students to do as well.

If you are writing instructions, take lots of time over them & get them proof read by someone else!

Comment

Thanks Rosemary, some excellent points to remember as I set out on this new adventure for me.

Comment

BJ I had a look at your ideas and I like what you are thinking of doing. It really depends on how long each session is and what skill level you would be tutoring. I think that it would be wonderful to be able to take people from the beginning right through to the end and you are right about doing the binding too. Sometimes classes leave too much undone and those projects never get finished because the students just don't know how to finish it. Anyway, good luck with the submission and I hope it is accepted. Wish I lived nearer so that I could attend, sigh!

Comment

Good Luck with your class. I suspect you will have a full house. Like Rita if I lived closer I would attend.

Comment

Thanks. Yes, my point is to try to come up with a project that teaches a lot but is still doable. This is hard to do in the space of time, which would be two or three four hour sessions with a week between each. Perhaps the only way to figure this out is to draw up a couple of designs and try them out. I'm flattered you all want to attend. I would really love that!

Comment

Hi Betty Jo, I like your idea for what you want to teach.

I think the first question I would ask if teaching a class, is whether it's a project class or a technique class. We get teachers at our guild who have a small project to "sell" the class, but are really teaching a single technique. Sounds like you want the participants to be able to finish the project with what you've taught them in the class. If they know this from the start, they might be more confident about getting to the end, and also more motivated to work through to the end. Sometimes people only do enough to try out the technique and then abandon the project.

I'm doing a little teaching of machine quilting for our local HQ dealer- I'm trying to focus on what they need to know, what the pitfalls might be, and how to use what they are learning. Since I'm teaching a subject I know pretty well, it's not hard to come up with these points. Based on your work, you are very well versed in the technical and artistic aspects of your style of art quilting. You'll select the most important points for your students to learn, so they are not overwhelmed with too many things to remember or make decisions about.

I agree with asking another person to go over your outline and notes. Often what I think is clear, isn't to someone else!

This is very exciting- a big vote of confidence for you and a great opportunity to teach others your skills.

Kathy

Comment

Kathy, Thanks. Very sage advice.

Comment

Hi Betty Jo,
                  Haven't talked to you in a very long time. I wanted to read your blog posts concerning your perspectus and could not find it. Could you direct me to the right posts? Thanks... Good to see your advancing to this level?

Comment

Originally posted by redcheek2
                    Hi Betty Jo,
                    Haven't talked to you in a very long time. I wanted to read your blog posts concerning your perspectus and could not find it. Could you direct me to the right posts? Thanks... Good to see your advancing to this level?
                    Hi Ann,

Hope all is going well for you. I haven't seen you on TQS for a while. I had several posts in my personal blog http://blog.bjfabricartist.com/ on this class. Here are the links to those that talk about the class in chronological order,

http://blog.bjfabricartist.com/2012/...our-ideas.aspx
                    http://blog.bjfabricartist.com/2012/...-projects.aspx
                    http://blog.bjfabricartist.com/2012/...ake-these.aspx
                    http://blog.bjfabricartist.com/2012/...shed-duck.aspx
                    http://blog.bjfabricartist.com/2012/...shed-duck.aspx

Or you could just read my blog backwards. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for asking. Cheers.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 216 users online. 0 members and 216 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X