[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Overall quilting design for Birds in the Air

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

and 30 yards of fabric dyed. Now what made you do so much or is this normal - I've not done any yet. I shouldn't make comments like that on here Limbania, the size of some of their stashes takes my breath away :lol: .

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Wendy, once you have a dyebath up and running, it is very addictive to just add another piece - a bit like eating chocolates :wink: Although if you are using Procion Dyes there is a limited window of oportunity about 3-4 hours I think, If you are using Dylon cold-water dyes, it keeps going as long as you can find fabric to soak it up 8) Which, I believe, is why some dyer ended up dyeing undies - it could be Ami Simms

Comment

Rita - Your quilting turned out spectacular! I love the designs on both sides!!

Nancy

Comment

Thanks Nancy - the overall effect looks better than the individual stitching, trust me.

As for the fabric dyeing Wendy, I did my dyeing in batches of 3 yards so that there would always be enough to back a quilt if nothing else. But I couldn't resist not wasting all that dye even after I had finished the 3 yard batch, so I dyed some Ikea fabrics with patterns on them and they will be used as backing for quilts too. It's sort of hard to stop once you start.

Comment

oooh a whole new adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by twiglet
              oooh a whole new adventure!
              Dyed chicken feathers anyone? :lol:

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

When I was a little girl I remember watching my grandmother butcher chickens. I remember their heads being place on a wooden block between two large nails. I don't know how my grandma swung that hatchet and held that chicken but she did it. What brought this up. I'll tell you what brought this up. It's the thought of wet feathers because that is the next step, that is the next after the chicken dance was over. Ever hear the expression "she's/he's running around like a chicken with its head cut off." Anyway, the next step is to scald the chickens in hot water so you can pluck the feathers. Dyeing chickens feathers brought this memory and that aroma alive for me. I'll tell you this, I may someday dye fabric but you can be sure I will never dye chicken feathers and I wouldn't recommend it either.

Comment

Oh, Lois ! I remember that odor..Not aroma !..very well ! I was the chicken plucker when we did the fryers that
                    we raised on our farm when I was a kid ! And grampa singed the litlle pin feathers over the burn barrel ! That's
                    a smell of it's own. too ! Well, they did taste pretty good when served up for dinner later on ! :roll: No dyeing
                    feathers for me, either !

Comment

Limbania, I know what you mean about not being able to stop dyeing once you start! Every time I dye fabric, I go back in the house and get out more fabric, since I have dye left at the end, and I don't want to waste any :lol: . Sometimes, i just pour all the dyes together and dye the fabric. It often turns a brownish color but that's okay- it's a neutral, right???

Yeah, I have yards of hand dyed fabric waiting for me to use it. it's so fun dyeing it!
                      Kathy

Comment

oh yes, remember the chicken ordor , my dear MIL had chickens when my DH and I were first married.
                        The chicken and noodles were very good. (comfort food)

Rita, your quilt and quilting are great. Thanks for sharing your many talents!

Comment

Thanks for that you lot :roll: I'm fresh out of nails so I'll wait until they moult Wonder how the cat would look.................. :?

Comment

[quote="Reetzbobeetz"]Thanks Nancy - the overall effect looks better than the individual stitching, trust me.

According to Charlie Brown from Peanuts: the secret is to look fantastic at a distance
                            I guess the same is related to quilting :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of another quote from Peanuts. Schroeder is playing the piano and very difficult music comes out. That's when he says: nothing is so difficult that you can't skip it I hope I translated it to something understandable

living in Central Denmark
                            Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by twiglet
                              Thanks for that you lot :roll: I'm fresh out of nails so I'll wait until they moult Wonder how the cat would look.................. :?
                              :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

I heard a good chicken story, about a lady who had knocked the chicken on the head to kill it for supper, then plucked it, and then put it on a plate in the larder for when here DH came home so he could draw it. When he opened the larder door, it was standing up and looking rather surprised :shock: ops:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 96 users online. 0 members and 96 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X