[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Overall quilting design for Birds in the Air

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nancy, long time since you've been on the Forum (or have I missed something?) In any event, so glad to see you again! Wish I had quilting advice but I'm the one who's begging for help on quilting these days... :lol: Just wanted to say hi!

Comment

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
        Nancy, long time since you've been on the Forum (or have I missed something?) In any event, so glad to see you again! Wish I had quilting advice but I'm the one who's begging for help on quilting these days... :lol: Just wanted to say hi!
        Hi Renata,

I've been around, just reading a lot more than writing. Admittedly, I felt that I was spending way too much time online and made a conscious effort to cut back. Also, since I didn't participate in this year's TQS BOM--which seemed to dominate the Forum this year--I skipped past most of those related blog posts. I've enjoyed seeing all of the different interpretations of the BOM and look forward to the 2013 BOM.

Comment

Hi Margo,

Thanks for you suggestions. My machine quilting skills are very limited, so my quilting will also be limited and not very dense. However, I might incorporate some of your ideas.

Thanks again!

Comment

WOW! Some really neat stuff going on here.

I wonder if you could use transparent plastic sheets, like we used for overhead projectors when teaching? You could just place the picture down on a flat surface, and then tape the top of the plastice sheet and draw the quilting possibilities with an wipe-away marker, like the ones used on white boards?

Comment

You can also use clear vinyl to lay over the actual quilt (not a photo) and audition designs with a dry-erase marker. Get the vinyl (sold by the yard) in the upholstery department of stores like Hancock's and JoAnn's. Be sure to mark the edges (I use blue painter's tape) so that you won't accidently mark on the quilt. It does NOT wash out!
              Also, there is a more narrow product called Quilter's Preview Paper designed for long-armers to audition designs when a quilt is mounted on the frame that works well.

http://www.handiquilter.com/product/...preview-paper/

Here is a video showing how to use the preview paper, but Michelle is using a Sharpie Marker, which is permanent.

http://www.handiquilter.com/videos/?id=18

http://www.handiquilter.com/videos/?id=17

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                Wendy I love that little quilt. The quilted feet are adorable and I might have to use that idea sometime if you don't mind? Thanks for the photos. I posted a photo of my finished primitive quilt in the show and tell area if anybody wants to have a look at it. Here's a link: see-quilts/show-and-tell-quilts/

It's strange the way I was able to come up with a quilting pattern for that one but I just couldn't think of what to do for the Birds in the Air one. I have it batted now and hope to start quilting tomorrow. Pictures to follow...
                That's great work. I am glad you are keeping it! I would too! Good job!

Twiglet, I love your baby quilt. The quilting designs are so much FUN!

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                  You can also use clear vinyl to lay over the actual quilt (not a photo) and audition designs with a dry-erase marker. Get the vinyl (sold by the yard) in the upholstery department of stores like Hancock's and JoAnn's. Be sure to mark the edges (I use blue painter's tape) so that you won't accidently mark on the quilt. It does NOT wash out!
                  Thanks, Margo, I have all those supplies. A good reminder.

Coast of South Carolina USA
                  Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Thanks Lois.

Comment

I also write "TOP" on the front of the plastic sheet, so I can tell which side has the marker on it...... If I can read the word, I know that the marker side is facing me and not against the quilt top. Even when you clean it off there might be some residue
                      Kathy

Comment

I have just finished my Birds in the Air quilt! Thanks Margo for the quilting suggestion. I modified it because I didn't want to have to stitch in the ditch around all those HSTs. I found it very difficult to stitch back directly over the curlicues. But I had got better by the end. :roll: Thanks to everybody for your suggestions and encouragement.

Comment

WOW!!! Rita, it looks amazing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                            WOW!!! Rita, it looks amazing!!
                            What she said

Comment

me ,too !! Love how the back shows off!

Comment

My, oh, my, Rita! I love it! You must be so happy with how it came out!

Great suggestion, Margo!

So much talent gathered here!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 122 users online. 0 members and 122 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X