[vb_main_1]

quilting using embrodiery thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting using embrodiery thread

Can I use embrodiery thread in my bobbin when I am quilting the top?

Hi Isa4110, I don't see why not. If you were using embroidery thread on the top of your machine you would need to use an embroidery needle but I don't think that that need apply to the bobbin as it doesn't go through the same thread race and tensioners. Try it on a practice sandwich first though. if it is particularly thick you might have to loosen your bobbin tension. Good luck. I am sure there are others with more experience of this than me.

Comment

Are you thinking of machine embroidery thread on a spool, like rayon or polyester machine embroidery thread, or of DMC 60 wt cotton embroidery thread? I've used all those as the top thread when quilting. For a large bed quilt, they might not be the best choice because they might be too fragile for heavy use. But for a wall hanging/table topper etc, they would work fine. I've used a thin cotton thread in the bobbin- the cotton grips the top thread better than a slippery bobbin thread would. I'd love to see your project!
      Kathy

Comment

I do
        If my tension is wrong when quilting and I can't correct it by lowering the top tension then I do use the same embroidery thread in the bobbin.

I've have seen it said that if the embroidery thread is thick to load it into the bobbin spool and quilt from the back, so I'd say the answer is yes .

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Ricky has demo'ed bobbin embroidery and bobbin quilting on various episodes of the Quilt Show, it looks interesting but I haven't tried it yet.

Do you live out in the country? We are not supposed to have backyard chickens where I live in the suburbs, but I sometimes hear roosters crowing .

Kathy

Comment

On the edges of a town Kathy. No roosters here but I do have my girls in my garden.

Comment

I did some sample bobbinwork with Ricky's Razzle Dazzle thread and it worked great! I did it for a couple of mug rugs and for a small Alzheimer's quilt. I haven't tried it on a big quilt yet, but certainly plan to.

There are starting to change the ordinances in some of the cities around here to allow backyard chickens. I live up in the mountains, so we can have them if we want. I don't have any because they would just be a feast for the cats (and the coyotes, and the mountain lions, etc etc), but some neighbors must have some that they are able to keep alive because I hear the rooster crowing in the morning sometimes.

Nancy

Comment

We have coyotes in the hills a couple of miles from me, but there's a freeway and some busy streets between my house and them! That probably explains why i do hear roosters crowing in my neighborhood-the coyotes can't get to them.

I have many spools of rayon embroidery thread, from way back when i was doing machine embroidery. I might have to try free motion embroidery with it, we have the tutorial from nancy prince that was very informative. I've only done some FMQ with the rayon, when the color was the one I needed.

Kathy

Comment

Wow your wildlife is a lot more exciting than here.

Rayon does really emphasise the quilting doesn't it. It's more exciting when you are adding some free hand quilting as well, different weight of course

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 244 users online. 0 members and 244 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X