[vb_main_1]

Tips on how to piece batting.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on how to piece batting.

I need to piece some batting. I've done it before but not sure I've been going about it the best way. I usually buy a larger batt than I need because it is usually the most economical. I am always using the leftovers for pillows and wall hangings. Now I have a big L shaped piece that would be big enough for a small quilt, but it needs to be pieced and I am looking for advice.

Hi Lois - I haven't done it, but I've seen information on how to do it. I believe it was an old "Simply Quilts" episode where Linda Milligan and Nancy Smith talked about this and they suggested that you lay the two pieces of batting next to each other, right sides up, overlapping a bit. Then take a rotary cutter and cut through both battings, using a cut that curves back and forth. Then butt up the edges of the batting and sew together with a wide zigzag stitch. The curvy cut was important because it kept the batting from shifting and it made sure that you didn't have a noticeable line on the quilt where the battings butted together.

There's also a new product that is a fusible for connecting batting pieces. Again, I haven't tried this myself.

Hope this helps,

Nancy

Comment

I knew I should ask. When I did it before I overlapped and did the rotary cutting thing but I did a fairly straight line. Curves sound better. Then I did a loose cross-hatch stitch by hand. I was hoping for some info on something fusible.

Comment

I'm sure others have used the fusible and will be able to give you good advice. I know I've read about it, but can't remember any important details to pass along.

Comment

I'm working on my second roll of "Heat and Press Batting Together" Long name but that is what it's called !....
          No problems yet... just use care in lining up edges. Purchased at LQS sometime back.

Comment

Hi Lois,
            I cut the batting as previously sugested and then use my "quilt in the ditch foot" butt the batting up against the flange and with a wide zig zag sew away it works for me.
            I sew even small strips together to use in a quilt sandwich to practice free motion quilting.
            Anne

Comment

Here are some videos about ways to use the fusible: http://www.heatpressbattingtogether.com/video-demos.htm

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                Here are some videos about ways to use the fusible: http://www.heatpressbattingtogether.com/video-demos.htm
                The video was helpful. I hope I can find Heat Press Batting Together. I have easiest access to JoAnn Fabrics and will check there tomorrow. Otherwise I will try the ZigZag on my machine.

Comment

Lois, you might be able to use a light-weight fusible interfacing to hold the batting together.

Comment

I've used the Heat Press product- it works great. I saw "the Batty Lady" demo it at a quilt show once so I followed her directions. Mostly it involves not having the iron on superhot if your batting has any polyester or bamboo in it. I see that there is a link to a video which probably shows everything. Kathy

Comment

H Lois,
                      I've done it lots oftimes,but just butted the [pieces up together and SLIGHTLY overlapped them and did a big zig-zag. Never thought hat there might be a 'right' way to do it. In any case, It's always worked for me with not a hint of a problem. ops:

Comment

I've done the big zig both by machine and by hand but depending on the quilt...that line can show if you're not careful!
                        AMHIK !! And there's no way to fix it !

Comment

OH MY! I just took the time to watch that video, and must say that if I had watched it before, I probably would not have posted it!
                          I like the idea of using this product for piecing batting, but I'm really not impressed with the techniques that she showed for stabilizing bias edges!
                          Or the fact that she's ironing on her cutting mat!! :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                            OH MY! I just took the time to watch that video, and must say that if I had watched it before, I probably would not have posted it!
                            I like the idea of using this product for piecing batting, but I'm really not impressed with the techniques that she showed for stabilizing bias edges!
                            Or the fact that she's ironing on her cutting mat!! :shock:
                            Hey Margo, This comment did not match with the video on the link I watched. This gal used an ironing board and did no demo on stabilizing bias edges. I had to watch it again to make sure I wasn't sleeping the first time. I am wondering if this product is like the fusible tricot I oftened used in dressmaking. It was the softest, most drapeable fusible interfacing I have ever used. If I have trouble finding "Heat Press Batting Together" I might be tempted to cut some of that into narrow stripes and give it a test drive.

Comment

Here is the link I watched: http://www.heatpressbattingtogether....o-projects.htm

I think that cutting your fusible tricot will work just fine, and may even be the same stuff!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 204 users online. 0 members and 204 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X