[vb_main_1]

Pressing half square triangles

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressing half square triangles

Hi, I am working on a block using multiple HST in one block and have pressed each seam to the dark side. Now when piecing the block I am running into the problem of have to switch a seam to butt two seams. Is this a normal problem when sewing HST blocks? What is the best way to handle this situation? As I am going now I will probably have some seams that go to the dark side on one end and have to switch for the other end. :?

Yes this will often happen when setting the HST's in block designs. It depends on the block design. I still prefer to press to the dark, then if the setting has the HST's turned in such as way that they won't nest, then I have to decide what to do.

Sometimes I roll the seam allowance over so they will nest. That will cause the other end of the seam to now be facing the light. If this is not a problem with shadowing or other piecing seams to follow, then I do that. I do repress the HST. This preserves the ditch.

Sometimes I pin the two pieces well, and sew the seam without them nesting. This causes a bit more bulk but also preserves the ditch.

Sometimes I repress the seam allowance open on the HST's so there is no nesting and no ditch. I do this for very small patchwork to reduce bulk.

Sometimes, I will flip the seam allowance by hand, nest and sew the seam, and keep the other end still facing the dark. This does create a twist along the middle of the seam area, which I then force into submission with lots of steam and pressing! This option works well when I know I will be quilting the quilt with an allover or pantograph pattern. If the quilt will be having custom quilting with Stitch in the Ditch, then this is not a good option because the ditch will keep flipping back and forth.

Some piecers (not me) twist the seam allowance to nest it, then clip it in the middle so half lays one way, half the other, way but both are now flat.

You might want to make a few test blocks to see which method you prefer the look of. And keep in mind the desired quilting (SID?) too.

Sorry if this is not helpful -- there really is no perfect completely right answer to this. Just choose the best option for the quilt you are making.

Comment

Here is a video showing one way to deal with HSTs in the middle of a pinwheel block by twirling the seams in the center.
      http://daily-blog/103-good-advice/14...into-pinwheels
      Of course there are layouts where this option does not always work, but when it does, it makes really flat intersections!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to play with them and see which method works best.

Comment

Oh yes, I love to twirl the centers of blocks like pinwheels or Lemoyne Stars if at all possible. It really is easy and helps to make the block lie flatter.

Thanks Margo for reminding us about that!

Comment

Originally posted by heartnsoulquilts
            Oh yes, I love to twirl the centers of blocks like pinwheels or Lemoyne Stars if at all possible. It really is easy and helps to make the block lie flatter.

Thanks Margo for reminding us about that!
            :wink:

Comment

I once saw a quilter on a video use a hammer to pound the centers flat. Kinda noisey but it looked like it worked!

Comment

just remember if you do press the seam toward the light side to check and make sure that you can't see some of the darker fabric from the front. This is a big problem if the light is white, but not so much so a lot of ofther lights.

Comment

And, if it does shadow through, a quick trim of the dark fabric will solve that problem before it's stitched into the block.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 293 users online. 0 members and 293 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X