[vb_main_1]

How to quilt a largish face?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to quilt a largish face?

Ok, I have nearly had a disaster on my Hoffman Challenge quilt. :cry: :shock:
    I wrote a blog on this on my personal blog: http://blog.bjfabricartist.com/
    I may have diverted the disaster, but after I corrected the color runs on the face by overpainting it, I decided it has to be fully quilted. I had hoped to only quilt lightly because she is a young woman and I don't really like quilting on young faces. But that won't work.

Hollis Chatelaine and Sharon Schamber do close contour line quilting. I kind of think that makes the faces look a little older, but it does kind of work. Our wonderful color teacher Michelle Jackson uses a tiny bubble fill on her faces, but I tried that on my practice face and it didn't look very good at all. Perhaps it was my quilting. So I guess I will go with the close-countour line quilting unless you wonderful people can think of another approach. Here's a pic of the face as it now looks:

I will quilt this tomorrow probably. I think I'll not put such a large young face on a quilt again unless I can come up with a good quilting method for them.0

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

BJ,
    I don't know enough to offer you advice on quilting a face (or anything else, for that matter ). However, I found the web page of a fiber artist, Virginia Greaves, and she has a whole section on portraits. Perhaps, there you might find the solution to your challenge. Her URL is http://www.virginiagreaves.com/portraits/

I hope this helps--your quilt looks beautiful! As I looked closer at the face of the young woman... is that you, BJ?

Comment

BJ...zoom in on Pat's quilting here: community/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo, that is a beautiful quilt. I apologize, but who is Pat and where can I learn more? Thanks!

Comment

Sorry, Renata! I thought it would link to Pat's TQS profile. She is Pat Durbin and her quilts are FANTASTIC!!
          community/my-profile/Patsquilts

And....her web site: http://www.patdurbin.com/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks, Margo! I just went to her profile and IS her work FANTASTIC! What an artist!

Comment

BJ your lady is so lovely! I like it just the way it is, but that's just me.

I also love Marilyn Belford's fabric portrait work. Perhaps you can google her and see if she has a blog or website that might have some closeup photos.

Can't wait to see what you do with her!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. Margo, I love Pat's work and have followed her work for years now. She lives in the same area my brother (whose name is also Pat) lives. I have some good news though. This morning I took out my big steam iron and stretching to the quilt and managed to get the whole thing in a much better state. The face is fine the way it is again, and I think by the time I add beads on her neck, which I plan on using multiple strands of sewing pearls which I will stitch down adding quilting there, that will be all she needs. The face is still a little mottled so I may do a little more painting, but I may just leave well enough alone.

Renata, it's funny you should mention the resemblance (LOL)...No, it's not me, but I used a photograph of my paternal grandmother, Irene, who died before I was born as my inspiration for the face. Indeed, I plan on naming the quilt "Irene".

Thank the Lord and whoever made them and improved them, for really good steam irons. I have an old Rowenta that still works after five years or so. I hope it lasts a long time still.

Whew! What a scare.

Comment

PS. The one thing this did is bring to my attention really cool other quilt artists to look at. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by heartnsoulquilts
                    BJ your lady is so lovely! I like it just the way it is, but that's just me.

I also love Marilyn Belford's fabric portrait work. Perhaps you can google her and see if she has a blog or website that might have some closeup photos.

Can't wait to see what you do with her!
                    I just found her site: http://www.marilynbelford.com/content/gallery/ I love her quilts too, but I hadn't connected the quilts of hers I have seen to the maker. Thanks!

Comment

I love her face without quilting. I also love that it is one fabric. I don't like when they use several different ones on a face. I guess the effect when you are not close up is better as it gives it dimension and color. anyway......I like yours best. Great job.

Comment

Karen, Thank you! Love the feedback.

Comment

Betty Jo, I'm glad to read that the face is going to be fine without having to add quilting to it after all. WHEW....Big sigh of relief!!!!

Comment

if you are registered for sharon shcamber site, she has one of her last video, how to quilt a face.

Comment

Oh, Betty Jo what beautiful work, I too would be reluctant to stitch the face.It looks lovely as it is. Elaine

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 77 users online. 0 members and 77 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X