[vb_main_1]

Fitting a Pieced Border to the Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting a Pieced Border to the Quilt

I want to add a pieced border to the quilt I am currently working on (the pinwheel quilt in my most recent blog post). The quilt centre is 5 x6 blocks and the blocks will finish at 12 inches. The pieced border will be made from the 4 inch finished pinwheel blocks. I want to put a plain border between the centre of the quilt and the pieced border. What width of border do I need to add so that the pieced border will fit properly? :?: Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm pretty certain that Sue Garmen covers this problem in her help videos from her 2009 BOM.learn/classrooms/

Comment

Debbie, look for Sue's video #6 in the link that Rosemary posted!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by djane
        I want to add a pieced border to the quilt I am currently working on (the pinwheel quilt in my most recent blog post). The quilt centre is 5 x6 blocks and the blocks will finish at 12 inches. The pieced border will be made from the 4 inch finished pinwheel blocks. I want to put a plain border between the centre of the quilt and the pieced border. What width of border do I need to add so that the pieced border will fit properly? :?: Thanks in advance for the help.
        Debbie, your quilt center should be 60 inches by 72 inches finished, given that your blocks are 12 inches finished. Those are both multiples of 4 inches. If your outer border is also 4 inch blocks, you will need a 2 inch finished spacer border on all sides. (Or anything that is a multiple of 2 inches- but your'e probably looking for more narrow rather than wider, right?) If your quilt center doesn't measure exactly 60-1/2 by 72-1/2 inches, then using Sue's tutorial will get you the more exact answer. If you don't have that on hand, I can walk you through it.

Kathy

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I will check out the link and then go for it!

Comment

Hi Everyone--I have finished my quilt centre and the pinwheel borders. I am not sure how to do the floaters because, of course, the measurements of my quilt top are not exactly right. Here are my calculations:

For the sides--my quilt centre is 73 inches long. My pieced border is 77 inches. Using Sue's formula I came up with needing 2 1/2 inch floaters on the sides.

For the top and bottom-- my quilt centre is 61 inches wide. My pieced border is either 64 3/4. Using the formula I came up with needing a 2.35 inch floater on top and bottom.

Am I correct? If so, how do I cut a fabric width that is 2.35 or 2 7/20 inches!

I sure appreciate your help. I feel a bit dense that I am having so much trouble figuring this out!

Comment

Debbie, your math is right on! If I were to cut strips 2.375" wide, I would just use tape to mark my rotary cutting ruler to cut strips 2-3/8" so I wouldn't have to keep looking for the right little marks on the ruler.

2-1/4" = 2.25" or 2-2/8"
              (2.375" or 2-3/8")
              2-1/2" = 2.50" or 2-4/8"
              The difference between 1/4" and 1/2" = 1/4" or .25"
              Divide that difference by 2 and you get .125
              Add .125 to .25 and you get .375

So... that is 3/8"

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks so much Margo! I am glad I did the math right although fractions were never my favourite! I almost didn't use the pieced border but I really want to add floater borders to my tool box of quilting skills!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 392 users online. 0 members and 392 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X