[vb_main_1]

how do I make a flange?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I make a flange?

I know i have seen a flange demonstrated on a show. Can anyone help?

I assume you are talking about the little fold of fabric in the binding like I have here:

(If I'm misunderstanding, my apologies....)

Sorry I don't have pictures, but here are my steps:
    - Cut a thin strip of fabric. I like a very thin flange so I cut my fabric 3/4 inches wide, giving a 1/8 inch flange.
    - Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, wrong sides together, and press.
    - Cut the flange to the length of one side of the quilt.
    - Lay along the edge of the quilt, matching raw edges, and baste in place approx 1/8 inch from edge.
    - Repeat for the other 3 sides of the quilt.
    - Sew on the binding as usual, using a 1/4 inch seam.

You could do the same thing to put a flange in any seam on your quilt. You just need to press the seam so that the flange lays on the side where you want it.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Comment

I think another name for the "flange" is a crumb catcher, maybe you could Google "quilting crumb catcher" or try Youtube there is a lot about quilting there.
      Hope this helps
      Anne

Comment

I have a PDF tutorial on my website that shows how I do it. I googled "quilting crumb catcher" and it was on the first page.

Comment

Thanks All. I was sure someone would be able to tell me how.This is such a great web site.

Comment

Can't remember where (Maaargoooo......!!!), but Alex describes and demonstrated how to add a 'crumb catcher' somewhere.

Lorchen
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Thanks Lorchen. Maybe Margo will remember.

Comment

Episode 408. Minute 36:58 http://watch/watch-shows/video/show-...about-neutrals

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks so much Margo. I knew you could find out for me. It's really tough being so forgetful.

Comment

Thanks Margo, I just watched the whole show again! So what is it called? Is it a flange, a folded border (that's what I thought it was called) a crumb catcher? Is there an official name for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                      Thanks Margo, I just watched the whole show again! So what is it called? Is it a flange, a folded border (that's what I thought it was called) a crumb catcher? Is there an official name for it?
                      D. All of the above! :lol:

Although a lot of long-armers that I know call them something different when quilts come in with them! It's really difficult to quilt over, under or across them without some areas folding the wrong way! :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Margo

Although a lot of long-armers that I know call them something different when quilts come in with them! It's really difficult to quilt over, under or across them without some areas folding the wrong way! :roll:
                        Good to know that they are not so popular with the long-armers. (Note to self: avoid an effin' flange in a quilt if it's going to be quilted on a long-arm.)

Comment

Originally posted by Margo

Good to know that they are not so popular with the long-armers. (Note to self: avoid an effin' flange in a quilt if it's going to be quilted on a long-arm.)

Comment

I knew it! Margo: Our walking, talking TQS inventory fairy!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                              I knew it! Margo: Our walking, talking TQS inventory fairy!
                              I would "LIKE" if we had the button!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 145 users online. 0 members and 145 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X