[vb_main_1]

Murphey's Law Help Deadline Loaming

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murphey's Law Help Deadline Loaming

Trying to finish a quilt for my Grandaughter's !st Holy Communion. It's this Saturday. Just found a small, less than 1/4", hole smack dab in the middle of the fabric for the back. It's the 108" wide stuff. Never bought it before. It's Moda so its not some off brand where you might expect this. The plan was to sandwich it today and get the quilting and binding done tomorrow and Friday. I don't have time for this. It is going to take most of the morning just to get the fabric replaced not to mention getting it washed and ironed. It's more than hour round trip to the fabric store. Maybe I should just decide that wherever the hole lands is where the label should be placed on the back. I am not real wild about that idea.

Could you applique a heart or cross over it? Then place several more around so it would appear to be planned?

Comment

Great idea! Thank you Beverly!

Comment

I'm with Bev on her suggestion to do a small flower or heart over it, or you could put the quilt label there :wink:

Otherwise, if you have a spare bit you can cut off from the edge, put a patch underneath the hole, turn back the edges like needle turn applique and catch them down, then just ignore it and quilt as planned.

Good luck in getting it finished!

Comment

I agree with Rosemary. Patch it if you can...especially if the fabric has a pattern so that a patch won't be as noticeable as it would be on a solid fabric.

But...before you patch it...take a photo and send it to MODA!!! At the very least you should get a discount on your next purchase of Moda backing!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks for the additional advice. I did take a picture. But first a correction. The fabric is Benertex not Moda. Sales lady said it was Moda. Should have taken a picture of the info on the selvage. The hole is so small you could almost miss it but I plan for this quilt to be washed and used so it would not stay small if it were ignored. It is so small that it is very annoying, indeed, that this is taking any time at all. I know that in the greater sceme of things this is not even a small bleep. I think I will mend it and hope for the best. Thanks again for the advice. Lois

Comment

I think you should cover it with a special message from "Grandma." Smack dab in the middle is the perfect spot to place the note too!

Comment

Lois, if you have Fray Check at hand, put a small amount around that hole and then something over it like many suggested. You could make a heart from the same fabric and it would almost be a secret heart. Get the best out of this annoying hole :evil:

living in Central Denmark
                Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

What a day I have had! I was all over the place with what to do about that nasty little hole. I practiced mending similarly small holes in fabric scraps. Each one I did looked worse than the last. I haven't done needle turn applique let alone reverse applique. I finally asked myself what would Bren do being 30 miles from TP and all. This is not the end of the world. In the mean time, I had to deal with a mental health crisis. Not my own, I do counseling part time. That really put things in perspective and I finally decided to just free motion darn the hole which frankly looked half way decent in comparison to the hand work I had done. I could applique something over it later in the same way I put labels on after the quilting is done. All was well, until I found a second similar hole. That's it! I don't want this fabric on the back of my quilt even if I have to revise my deadline. It will be fine. Anna will get a card from us with some money in it and I will tell her that some time very soon a special package will be arriving in the mail for her with something to help her remember her special day. She is not expecting anything more than a card anyway. I am going to take the fabric back and ask for a refund. I think there is something wrong with it. Thanks for your help! Lois

PS. I can't even spell looming. Well, yes I can. I just don't always do things right the first time. LOL. I don't know how I posted 2 copies of this same post. I think I better just quite for today and be glad that "Tomorrow is a New Day!" Have a good evening/day or whatever time it is in your part of the world.

Comment

[quote="loise98"]What a day I have had! I was all over the place with what to do about that nasty little hole. I practiced mending similarly small holes in fabric scraps. Each one I did looked worse than the last. I haven't done needle turn applique let alone reverse applique. I finally asked myself what would Bren do being 30 miles from TP and all. This is not the end of the world. In the mean time, I had to deal with a mental health crisis. Not my own, I do counseling part time. That really put things in perspective and I finally decided to just free motion darn the hole which frankly looked half way decent in comparison to the hand work I had done. I could applique something over it later in the same way I put labels on after the quilting is done. All was well, until I found a second similar hole. That's it! I don't want this fabric on the back of my quilt even if I have to revise my deadline. It will be fine. Anna will get a card from us with some money in it and I will tell her that some time very soon a special package will be arriving in the mail for her with something to help her remember her special day. She is not expecting anything more than a card anyway. I am going to take the fabric back and ask for a refund. I think there is something wrong with it. Thanks for your help! Lois
                    PS. And I can't even spell looming? Well, yes I can. I just don't always do things right the first time. LOL!

Comment

I would also go for the applique idea. We just had a 'pro' quilter to our guild and she showed us the back of some of her quilts that had 'planned spontaneous' patches ove r the back and she said she's won some prizes for those quilts. ( Apparently if you have a quilt 'judged' (shudder that thought), the judges look at the back of the quilt also, plus the binding too! )

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 334 users online. 0 members and 334 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X