[vb_main_1]

How to calculate setting triangles

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to calculate setting triangles

Humbly, I'm asking if anyone knows the mathematical formula to calculate setting triangles. I have always just eyeballed it and trimmed to fit because I could never find the formula when I needed it. :? Plus--I'm kinda scared of math. ops: So, let's say I want to make a table runner with three 8" blocks set on point. What size do I cut the setting triangles on the end and sides? How do I calculate that?
    Jane

Jane here is a link to Bonnie Hunter's website where she shows how to do the math. If you scroll down the page she has examples of squares you need to create side setting and corner setting triangles in sizes from 3" to 16". I have saved it to my desktop because I can't figure out the maths either. Hope that helps.

Comment

Rita, thank you. I'm on pins and needles waiting for you to publish the link!
      Jane

Comment

Oh that was really clever of me :roll: Sorry about that. Here it is.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...nt-quilts.html :mrgreen:

Comment

Thanks sooooo much Rita! I've never been to Quiltville before so that is a bonus. I'm learning all kinds of things from Tips and Techniques! Love the chart. As I said I am math-a-phobic so her calculations rounding up are very helpful. It's nice to know I have a smidget to work with and it's not critically precise.
          Jane

Comment

Thanks for the link Rita. I know that info will come in handy. I really enjoy Bonnie Hunter's website and blog.

Comment

Well it's Margo who deserves the thanks really because she was the one who gave me the link last year when I was in trouble.

Comment

I don't do math very well either, which is why I use Electric Quilt 7. It's great...no math. I hope Margo comes back to comment on a regular basis soon. I miss her and hope she is doing ok.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Originally posted by Sewdreamy
                  I don't do math very well either, which is why I use Electric Quilt 7. It's great...no math. I hope Margo comes back to comment on a regular basis soon. I miss her and hope she is doing ok.
                  Ditto!

Comment

Believe it or not, There is an app for that. On my IPad2 I have the app QuiltCalc by Robert Kaufman which does much of the math for you and can be set for both inches and meters. Betty Ann

Comment

Thank you Betty Ann,
                      I found this on Apps for Android so it's now on my Kindle Fire. I had previously purchased a book of calculations at the quilt store, a book which promptly buried itself somewhere in my house.

By the way, the app is Free!

Comment

Originally posted by suehenyon
                        Thank you Betty Ann,
                        I found this on Apps for Android so it's now on my Kindle Fire. I had previously purchased a book of calculations at the quilt store, a book which promptly buried itself somewhere in my house.

By the way, the app is Free!
                        Hmmm, very interesting! I wonder would that work for a Sony eReader? Must have a look. Thanks Betty Ann, thanks Susan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sewdreamy
                          Betty Jo, I have been thinking about Margo too! I am hoping she's quilting. Miss her! Lois

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 53 users online. 0 members and 53 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X