[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

How to get really good corners on a binding

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have found that if you sew to within 1/4 inch of the end of the quilt, then rotate the quilt so the point of the corner is pointing right at your chest then sew off the corner, you will get a less rounded corner. These few stitches compress the batting which cuts down on bulk in the corner. They also give you the correct angle on which to fold the remaining binding. Fold on that angle and the binding should form a straight line with the side of the quilt you are to bind next. Then fold the binding back so it lays on the side of the quilt being sure the fold at the top is even with the edge of the quilt. Begin the seam at the top edge of the quilt.
    When hand sewing the back of the binding as you come into the corner, continue to stitch the binding a few extra stitches to the outside edge of the 1/4 inch seam allowance. This hold the binding firm and square with the quilt making again the proper angle for the binding as you fold it back to do the next side.
    In both cases these are very few stitches but they make all the difference in the final outcome.
    Hope this helps. Betty Ann

Comment

Great explanation! Thanks BettyAnn. Lois

Comment

Thanks everybody. You are such a wonderful source of information. I can't imagine being without this forum now. :? Betty Ann I have never tried sewing diagonally off the corner so I will try that on my next piece and see how it goes. Everybody's suggestions were so clear that I feel sure that I "can do better" from now on.

Comment

I saved a video on My Favorite Places and I hope it is still available for you. It sounds as if it is your answer.

It is: http://www.quilt-video.com/2010/02/05/bindingodd-angles

I located it on Alicia's Attic site and the directions are by Marci Baker so if the above doesn't work, try those two sites. Good luck.

I saved it and refer to it every time I do my bindings.

Sincerely,
          Ann Roadarmel
          Elysburg, PA

Comment

Thanks Ann. I had a look at that and there are lots of interesting video tutorials there. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Besides starting with a square corner, the most important thing is to stop stitching at the corner the same distance that your seam allowance is wide.....and that is not necessarily 1/4".
              Drawing a 45 degree angle in from the corner shows you exactly where to stop.
              (Ricky's "Grand Finale" shows him folding the binding to get that angle)
              I'm not very impressed with this video, but I really do like the tool that this gal has on the market!
              http://quiltsnstuffbyglenna.mybigcom...ing-miter.html

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo, that tool does look too good not to have! Maybe my other problem has been that I always stitch to the 1/4" point and then reverse straight back off the edge. I never thought to go off at the 45º angle. I will do that in future. Thanks again for the useful link.

Comment

Rita, I also stitch off at a 45 degree angle from the stitching line, not from the corner! I don't think that matters as much as being sure that the stitching line does not go into the seam allowance of the next side.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks Margo. The diagram really clarifies it for me. I know not to stitch into the seam allowance of the next side. It is those corners that end up with snub noses when I turn the binding over that have bothered me. I think that sewing at the 45º angle from the stitch line and making sure that my binding and seam allowances are right is what I need to correct.

in the absence of sewing classes, a LQS and easy access to quilting tools etc., this forum is such an invaluable asset to people like me. Thanks to everybody who has taken the time to post a response.

Comment

http://quiltsnstuffbyglenna.mybigcom...87163_zoom.JPG
                      Love this little tool. I mainly use the 1/2 inch mark with chalk to know where to stop the seam. No measuring.

Coast of South Carolina USA
                      Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Libby Lehman has instructions on constructing a mitred binding as well as a hanging sleeve - never fails! http://www.quilts.com/sleeeves.pdf

Comment

Rita, I'm so glad you started this topic! And I'm thankful to all who have given such wonderful advice, instruction and links! I've never been thrilled with my binding corners either and I've learned here that I was doing several things wrong. ops: now I'm looking forward to the next time I will do a binding, can't wait to try all these tricks! thanks again, everyone!

Comment

Thanks to all the comments on this thread I have been able to get nice corners on my Sottts quilt.

Here is another tip for bindings, if you cut your bias strips and then stitch them together -What you do is you trim off the small point at each end (similar to trimming hst's) then it is easy peasy to line up the pieces for sewing, as you have removed the guess work of placement.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 385 users online. 0 members and 385 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X