[vb_main_1]

How to get really good corners on a binding

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get really good corners on a binding

Does anybody know if there is a show on TQS which shows how to turn the corners on a binding and get really sharp points? I always seem to end up with snub noses. Is there a tutorial somewhere that would help? I have trawled through the various posts but haven't found anything that deals with the corners specifically. I have seen a youtube tutorial that uses something called a 'minute miter' but as I can't get those here that's not much use to me.

Rita, Here's the video that taught me to bind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ...eature=related
    If the link doesn't work, look up Sharon Schamber Binding the Angel Here's another link that has it in three parts:

http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/1...s-school-glue/

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

BJ, wonderful tutorial by Sharon S.! Thanks for sharing.

Rita, I haven't been especially happy with my bindings either, but I think the video BJ recommends will help me, I hope you like it too.

Comment

Wow, Betty Jo, that is a great video on binding!
        thanks,

Comment

Thanks for posting this link for everyone to see...I've used this method for a while and it really does
          make a better binding !!

Comment

Ricky shows how he does mitered bindings in Episode #310. Alex demonstrates how to do scalloped bindings in #415. There is one where she shows how to join the end and the beginning of the binding and I don't know if this is the one or not. Haven't had a chance to view Sharon Schamber's video but I will. Thanks to Karen I started keeping a list of tutorials that Alex and Ricky do as part of the shows. That's where I wish there were an official index of the little tutorial stuck in here and there. Lois

Comment

Thanks BJ. I had this in my favourites on youtube but I had forgotten about it. We don't have Emler's glue here but I guess a fabric glue pen would work too. I would love to get my corners are sharp as hers, maybe someday. :roll:

Comment

Rita, the glue she uses is washable school glue. I wonder if you don't have another brand of that...designed for kids.

Comment

We probably do but mostly the kids here use pritt stick which is like a fatter version of the sewline glue stick. I shall make enquiries. Thanks BJ.

Comment

I'm sure you can find a school glue that washes out easily, but you don't need it to make sharp corners. Just do what Sharon shows and be careful in every step. Use pins to hold the binding and let quilt and binding lay flat on your table while pinning. If you do that you will be able to form the perfect corner.

living in Central Denmark
                    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Rita, one of the most important part of the technique for getting accurate sharp corners is the correct seam width. We are so in tune to sewing a quarter inch seam. For bindings, I use double (French) fold. I cut the strips 2 1/2 inches wide. I stitch the binding with an even feed/walking foot. I stitch my seam at 3/8 inch. If there is piecing at the edge of the border, then I trim the binding and backing to be 1/8 inch bigger. I look at some of my earlier pieces and the corners round because I was stitching a quarter inch from the binding and the binding was not even with the edge of the quilt. The binding needs to be filled the quilt.
                      Also when you sew the binding on continuously, turning the corner is critical. That means stopping the stitching at the seam measurement in the corner, folding at a 45 degree with the binding and quilt side even and flipping the binding over, but even with side that was just stitched. Continue sewing from the edge onto the quilt.

Sorry if I ramble, not much sleep last night.

Here is Bonnie Hunter's version http://quiltville.com/binding.shtml

Coast of South Carolina USA
                      Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Hi Pam, thanks for the link - she's amazing isn't she? I think you have hit the nail on the head with the width of the binding. I am inclined to just do a 1/4" seam and I always have just too much binding on one side or the other. I will have to do this more carefully in future. I think Sharon Shambers mentioned something about this too in her binding the angel youtube tutorial but I didn't listen closely enough - I am always in too much of a hurry to finish things and move on to the next idea. :roll: Someday I will learn.

Comment

Binding is a favorite part of the process for me! I guess because It means I've finished !! I have to agree with Norma
                          and Pam that care and precision make the outcome best! Bonnie Hunters" tutorial is super ! And it's how I've done for most
                          quilts. The glue method simple takes a little of the pinning and fussing away ...for me... it is an extra that speeds me up..
                          especially when joining ends ! Tho, having shared it with others, understand some find it fiddle-y. And I must say,not much
                          ruins the look of a quilt faster than a poor binding. IMHO. Marilyn

Comment

Unlike Marilyn, binding is almost my least favorite part of quilting. It is second only to pin basting! But both are necessary and I agree with Marliyn that it's important to have a nice binding and I'm very particular about mine. It's a bit of an effort to get it right, but I'm always thrilled with what the binding adds to the look of the quilt. I do much the same thing as Bonnie Hunter. I just don't use the pin at the beginning since I'm very good at poking myself as I'm moving things around! Instead, when I get to where I'm going to join the ends of the binding, I cut the first end square then mark, usually with a chalk roller, where the cut end hits the other end to get a nice, flat binding. I then cut the other end at the width of my binding strip (I generally use 2 1/4") past the mark. Then I join the ends in the same way. I, too, cut it a smidgeon short since I find it lays better in the end.

The thing I hate most about doing the bindings is the hand stitching on the corners on the back. Since there is so much extra fabric there from folding the binding strip, it's really hard to get the corner pieces to sit where I want them so I can stitch them. But I just wrestle with it as much as needed, use the side of my needle to pull the back fold towards the edge of the quilt and use my ladder stitches up the miter to pull the two sides together and contain that extra fabric. A real pain, but it seems to work.

I generally sew the binding on before trimming the edges of the quilt. I match the edge of the binding with the edge of the top and sew 1/4" in from that. Then I trim 3/8" from the sewing line. If I'm using a new type of batting or something else might affect the width of the quilt sandwich, I will start with a test trim of a short area that is a smidgeon wider than what I expect I'll want for the trimming width and then will fold the binding over in that area to see if it is filled out as I want. I do this until I get the right width, then trim the entire top. With this method, you have to be very careful at the corners if you are trimming down to the original 1/4" so that you don't cut off the fold on the binding. This method gives me a good fill of the binding and my corners still seem to turn out looking nice. At least to me and my friends, who tend to comment on my nice binding and corners.

Nancy

Comment

I find that my bindings improve tremendously when I make absolutely sure the
                              top has square corners. I measure or use my square ruler to get a perfect 90%
                              angle before sewing the binding on.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 364 users online. 0 members and 364 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X