No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

What direction does YOUR color wheel go?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What direction does YOUR color wheel go?

As many of you know, I am doing this year's BOM as a color wheel. I have yellow at the top, and going clockwise, I head into the oranges, reds, purples, blues, greens, and back up to the yellow. Then one day I wondered, did I do this right? So, I went to Ritzy's, Maggie's and Jennifergel's quilts, and they were the same as mine. But, when I went to Joen Wolfrom's 3-in-1 Color Tool, her colors go counterclockwise with the warms on the left and the cools on the right. I also have the book COLOR, the quilter's guide, which also follows the counterclockwise color scheme. Now, in today's TQS newsletter there is a feature on Michelle Jackson, telling us of a her color class, Color - 101, and shows HER color wheel going clockwise, with warms on the right and cools on the left. I am cofused at this point! Does it not matter what way the color wheel is going? Do people just not know what way it is supposed to go? At this point, I sure don't!

After 911, I learned how a flag hanging down (vertical) should be hung. The blue field with stars is supposed to be in the upper left corner. Oh, oops! I made a quilt with vertical American flags in the border, and they have the blue field in the upper right. That just seemed logical to me at the time. I can't change that quilt, and I can't change the current BOM, but I sure would like to know what is the correct color wheel for that NEXT quilt, down the road!

Dawn
    In beautiful Northwest Montana

Unlike the flag, I don't think there are legal requirements on a quilt. Other than it has fabric and more than one layer! Have fun! Make it go both ways, one inside the other! Turn it inside out! Play!

Comment

Hi Dawn, I've seen it both ways. As long as it goes around and comes out at the right place, it doesn't matter! That's very creative, doing your quilt as a color wheel. Kathy

Comment

I love quilts, or almost anything, with all the colors in the order of the color wheel! In my mind clockwise is the logical direction. I don't know if there really is a right or wrong. It does bother me when a color is left out or if they are out of order! :roll: it's your quilt, you should do whatever makes YOU happy!

Comment

Originally posted by theothermarion
          Unlike the flag, I don't think there are legal requirements on a quilt. Other than it has fabric and more than one layer! Have fun! Make it go both ways, one inside the other! Turn it inside out! Play!
          Amen! Play! Be creative. I refuse to believe there is a right or wrong way. Lois

Comment

Think of a rainbow. The red is on top and the blue is on the bottom. So, if you're looking at the left side of the rainbow, the colors go from red to blue. However, on the right side, the colors go from blue to red. There really isn't a clockwise of counter-clockwise. Therefore, either way would be correct. Choose whichever you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by NancyinSTL
              Think of a rainbow. The red is on top and the blue is on the bottom. So, if you're looking at the left side of the rainbow, the colors go from red to blue. However, on the right side, the colors go from blue to red. There really isn't a clockwise of counter-clockwise. Therefore, either way would be correct. Choose whichever you prefer.
              That's kind of what I was figuring! I kept picturing a prism when I was asking the question.

That being said, when an American flag is hung vertcally, from the ceiling of a hallway, the blue field will be on the upper left going up the hall in one direction, and then it will be in the upper right if you are coming down the hall from the other direction.

Perspective! It's all in how you view it!

Dawn
              In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

One "class" I like to "teach" customers when choosing fabrics is, "your quilt, your rules" however you choose for your fabrics to be placed will work for me!
                Teri
                Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 91 users online. 0 members and 91 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X