[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Bleeding onto quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I would try, use Biz to wash this quilt and add some color catchers as well. I would try this before the hot water method. But that is just me. I love wool batting and the poof, however, you have to treat it differently that cotton or poly.
    Carolyn

Comment

Yes, I am a little afraid to use the hot water on the wool. I have some extra batting, fabric, etc and will experiment before I do anything with that king size quilt. Thanks Janet

Comment

I found a product called Carbona color run remover, that is for removing dye transfer from laundered clothing. I am going to try it out on a sample, and then maybe on my quilt. I certainly cannot advise anyone to use this but I hope it works for me! It might work since the color is isolated in squares that aren't near the bleeding turquoise. I'll let you all know what happens.

I hadn't thought of trying Biz, is that a detergent with stain removers? I have never used it.

Kathy

Comment

I've been using Carbona Color Grabbers for a few years. As a very new quilter, I can only say that I've pre-washed very few fabrics so I can not say authoritatively that they work on every kind of fabric. However, I've thrown together very mixed groupings of colors in the laundry with a Carbona Color Grabber and nothing has run onto lighter fabrics and Carbona disposable sheets come out of the wash with a lot of color on them.

Comment

I've seen the Carbona color grabbers- are they similar to the Color Catchers? I used those when I washed my quilt- 6 of them turned bright turquoise! apparently there was a *lot* of extra turquoise dye in the fabric. This Color Run Remover is a powder that you mix with hot water and soak the fabric in. I was thinking that I would dab it on the squares, since I don't want to take all the turquoise out of the turquoise fabric. Can you tell I don't really know what I'm doing here? I'll try this in a couple of days. Kathy

Comment

kathy: i had a fabric dyeing course last fall and we were warned that turquoise 1. needs to proove much longer than most colors, and 2. takes a lot more rinsing than the other colors... when i did mine i certainly spent a lot longer on those rinses - but i think the color catchers did the trick - when i'm giving my quilt away i'm also giving another package of the color catchers with it - for those first few washes (although it has already been washed in the machine - with catchers - 4 times - the last time they ended up light grey - so i think we're OK

Comment

Originally posted by kathyst2
                I've seen the Carbona color grabbers- are they similar to the Color Catchers? I used those when I washed my quilt- 6 of them turned bright turquoise! apparently there was a *lot* of extra turquoise dye in the fabric. This Color Run Remover is a powder that you mix with hot water and soak the fabric in. I was thinking that I would dab it on the squares, since I don't want to take all the turquoise out of the turquoise fabric. Can you tell I don't really know what I'm doing here? I'll try this in a couple of days. Kathy
                Color Grabbers are like Color Catchers. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Color Run Remover.

Comment

Lotti, I do remember about letting the Turquoise dye sit overnight for the dye to take. I thought I had rinsed and washed enough of the dye out but obviously not! And the other fabrics in the quilt didn't suck up the turquoise like this one did. I'm hopeful that this will work. But not holding my breath!
                  Kathy

Comment

Kathy - don't take this suggestion at all seriously - but how about dipping the whole quilt into blue dye and then you wouldn't see the turquoise running :wink: And if you wanted to take it a stage further, you could then play about with some discharge paste 8)

This idea was brought to you from INSANE SUGGESTIONS R US

( Nurse, I think the dried frogs pills are wearing off!) :lol:

Comment

The dried frog pill sound like a good time! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

There was a report on local tv tonight. Apparently environmentalist in the Humberside area are very worried about the decline of frogs and have so far found no explanation why this is happening. They obviously haven't met Rosemary's supplier of dried frog pills yet.
                        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                          Kathy - don't take this suggestion at all seriously - but how about dipping the whole quilt into blue dye and then you wouldn't see the turquoise running :wink: And if you wanted to take it a stage further, you could then play about with some discharge paste 8)

This idea was brought to you from INSANE SUGGESTIONS R US

( Nurse, I think the dried frogs pills are wearing off!) :lol:
                          Rosemary, they already whispered in my ear "fabric paint!" :shock:

You might not know that I'm a pharmacist in my work life, maybe I should try to get some of those dried frog pills. I wonder what they are called? Amphibione? Ripit-ene?

At this point if the Carbona color remover doesn't work who knows what I will do? Silly suggestions will be enertained!
                          Kathy

Comment

Here's my update: The Carbona color remover looked like it was removing the blue color from the yellow-orange area where it wasn't wanted. However as soon as I rinsed it out the blue color came back. I tried putting a swatch of the turquoise in the solution to see what would happen and it really dulled and darkened the color. Then I found some fabric paints, mixed up a color that looked like the original and thinned it a little. When I painted it onto my swatch it just accentuated the blue stain! My little swatch looked like a packet of mustard with some mold in it. So, I'm declaring this quilt finished, it is what it is, as they say! Lesson learned: test my fabrics especially hand dyes before using them.
                            Kathy

Comment

Try wetting a color catcher and laying it on the offending spot. . .let it dry. . .repeat the process. . .see if that works for you. It worked for me on my HST quilt from the Batiks-R-Us exchange. I'm about to do this to a quilt that has some bleeding. . .I'll let you know if it works.

Comment

I will be getting my final borders onto my HST quilt today, and I am wondering would it be sensible to wash it in synthrapol first (before quilting). Either in the bath tub (for less creasing) or in the machine (for more thorough agitation)?

I also have some 'Dr Magic Snatch-a-dye' sheets that work the same way as colour catchers, should I toss a couple of those into the water as well? (Laundry is so not my thing!)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 66 users online. 0 members and 66 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X