[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

How to use a piece of my mom's needlework

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am surprised by the delightful soft hand this particular linen has. Thanks for reminding me that linen is tough, so I won't be so worried about it. I serged the cut edges and will wash it tomorrow.

I will be using this quilt as a wall quilt. Perhaps the quilting can help control some of the wrinkling. I am planning on using Mom's beautiful strip of hand crocheted lace down the center backed by the dark tan to show off her lace, and will do some kind of heirloom quilt style on each side with the lovely ivory linen that almost matches the color of Mom's lace. I will have to think about the design for the sides and border. I might use a little embroidery and then some quilting. Plus I have a pearl necklace she used to wear that I plan on taking apart and sewing the pearl beads onto the quilt. This is a dear project for me. She died before I got into quilting, but she was my primary sewing teacher and was so talented herself in sewing clothing. I will journal blog this on my personal blog and drop in a few notes here on TQS. I love the way you all encourage and inspire my work. You are a great bunch of friends!!!!

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

This is a pillowcase quilt made from a beautiful vintage pillowcase, done in the style of Cindy Needham.
      She has great methods for repurposing vintage linens and laces.
      You can download her book for $20 at cindyneedham.com
      It is well worth the money!!
      This pillowcase quilt is my first attempt at using these beautiful old pieces, to get them out of dresser drawers and into the light again.

Comment

I have are large piece that my mother crocheted years ago. It is a filet crochet wall panel of The Lord's Prayer. It measures about 30"x40". My thoughts are to attached it to a large piece of black felt and perhaps do some felt wool applique of vines and flowers along the edge of the crocheted panel. I do not know how to attach the panel to the felt so that it will lay flat and not sag. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by MAMA2TNT
          I have are large piece that my mother crocheted years ago. It is a filet crochet wall panel of The Lord's Prayer. It measures about 30"x40". My thoughts are to attached it to a large piece of black felt and perhaps do some felt wool applique of vines and flowers along the edge of the crocheted panel. I do not know how to attach the panel to the felt so that it will lay flat and not sag. Any suggestions?
          Lay out the piece of felt, position the filet crochet panel on top and smooth, the same as if it is a quilt and then catch stitch it down using a matching thread, going around all the main motifs and letters - just imagine it is a piece of applique.

Comment

Originally posted by quilter51
            This is a pillowcase quilt made from a beautiful vintage pillowcase, done in the style of Cindy Needham.
            She has great methods for repurposing vintage linens and laces.
            You can download her book for $20 at cindyneedham.com
            It is well worth the money!!
            This pillowcase quilt is my first attempt at using these beautiful old pieces, to get them out of dresser drawers and into the light again.
            Vicki, That is lovely! I have gotten really busy and haven't been able to work on this project lately, but I picked it up the other day and found I can actually take the various blocks apart, so that will help me a lot in figuring out a plan. Good to know about Cindy's book. I'll look into it.

Comment

Wow that sounds wonderful. I hope you'll post pictures of your progress along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                Lay out the piece of felt, position the filet crochet panel on top and smooth, the same as if it is a quilt and then catch stitch it down using a matching thread, going around all the main motifs and letters - just imagine it is a piece of applique.
                Rosemary, Great suggestion for how to treat this kind of panel. Thanks.

Comment

I am not sure how sturdy the felt would be. It might be better to make it like a quilt with a top, batting and a backing for stability.

Comment

Vicki, very nice job on the pillowcase.

Comment

Vicki, very nice work, and a great idea for getting these antique pieces used again. One of these days I will get around to doing something with all those little pieces I have tucked away because I don't know what to do with them.

Comment

Cindy's book is $20 and is a download on your computer.
                        I printed it out and took it to a kinko's type place to have it bound, which cost < $4
                        Her printed book, wholecloth linen quilts, is over $100 on all websites because it is out of print.
                        She has a lot of great ideas and the book is great reading. I give it *****
                        Quilting is always fun for me because there is always something new to learn!!!

Comment

Vicki, your repurposed pillow case is beautiful. Good for you! Cindy would give you two thumbs up!

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Vicki, I love what you did with the pillow case--really beautiful and I hope you have it out with a pillow in it so you can enjoy its beauty!

Comment

Thank you Renata! But it is actually a quilt, with batting inside. I have it hanging up. I invite you to visit CindyNeedham.com, or even better, watch the show she did on thequiltshow.com
                                Her ideas for re-purposing vintage linens will rock your world!!! It's a game changer for me. vc

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 71 users online. 0 members and 71 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X