[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

How to use a piece of my mom's needlework

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betty Jo, I wish, I wish.... I normally can't resist a challenge ( ), but my older son is getting married in May and I have to make 86 fabric wedding favours, and I work fulltime, so can't play with fabric during the week, and normally need half the weekend to recover from my job. But I promise I'll share when I manage to find some time.
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
      Betty Jo, I wish, I wish.... I normally can't resist a challenge ( ), but my older son is getting married in May and I have to make 86 fabric wedding favours, and I work fulltime, so can't play with fabric during the week, and normally need half the weekend to recover from my job. But I promise I'll share when I manage to find some time.
      How lovely! I doubt I get mine done much before the end of the year myself (you can see why if you look at my new page on current projects on my website http://www.bjfabricartist.com ).

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Lorchen--that Hardanger is just wonderful. I wish I were that good at it.

Comment

I too have a drawer full of various hand made crochet items from my DH's family. It would be lovely to do something with them as we don't tend to cover our surfaces with them anymore. I look forward to seeing what you do Betty Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
            I too have a drawer full of various hand made crochet items from my DH's family. It would be lovely to do something with them as we don't tend to cover our surfaces with them anymore. I look forward to seeing what you do Betty Jo.
            Rita, Sounds wonderful. I encourage you to take some out and do something with them. I'm going to start by getting some linen samples and working out a plan on Electric Quilt 7.

Comment

I suggest you study the work of Cindy needham. She specializes in using vintage pieced in her quilts. She does seminars and workshops, and has been a guest on TQS. Her work is exquisite. Her website is her name.
              Let us know what you do!!

Comment

I wish I coluld go to a workshop with Cindy Needham. But I'm on the wrong side of the big pond. The show with her will always be one of my all-time favourites.

Comment

Her work is exquisite and very much in the right kind of direction for my mom's needlework.

Comment

HI there, remember this? I finally got some really nice linen to make this quilt...a nice piece of ivory for the main part of the quilt and a darker tan to back mom's work so it will show up a bit. I wonder though, do any of you have some suggestions/cautions on prewashing the linen. I assume it must be done because it probably shrinks a lot. Should I use cold water or regular wash? I'm thinking I should serge the cut edge first. Would love your ideas before I do anything that might ruin this beautiful linen.

Comment

Hi Betty Jo! It's great to hear that you are progressing with this project.

I'd definitely serge the linen before washing it. I have used different types of linen for hand embroidery and they all frayed a lot.

I have no idea about the 'right' temperature, but my common sense tells me to wash it at the temperature that you want to wash it again in the future. I vaguely remember my grandmother washing linen table cloths in a very large kettle on her woodburning stove. The water was bubbling and the whole kitchen steamed-up like a sauna.

I'm sure there are folks here with much more precise advice than my rather anecdotal ramblings.

Comment

BJ, there was a thread to do with linen a while back but I don't know if there is anything useful there - I have put the link at the bottom of this post. I know that they put formaldehyde in linen so it would be a good idea to wash it first, and I think that you can wash it very hot - I remember the bubbling pots too Lorchen. Good luck with it and I hope you will post photos of the finished result.

http://forum/beginners-corner-ask-an...bric-treatment

Comment

Linen is one tough fabric - it can take most anything you throw at it, I remember that some irons had a heat setting for linen and it was hotter than cotton, and a boil wash to clean household linens was the norm. But yes, it loves to fray as well, so make sure the edges are overlocked or finished before washing. I don't remember much about shrinkage in the wash, but I do remember creasing problems when it dries. Fabric softener ( if you use it) might help, but I just had at it with a hot steaming iron.

Comment

Yep, hot water will not hurt it but be aware--linen wrinkles. Taking it out of the wash, and while it is still damp, pressing it works well to get them out.

Comment

Oh yes, the wrinkles........ My mother was given a linen dress by her mother-in-law. It came out ever so often when we visited my grandmother - a two hour drive. On arrival my mother always looked worse than if she had just got up, and her face showed the bad mood she (an obsessive perfectionist) was in.

Comment

lots of fraying and lots of wrinkling.... the frays you can prepare against!
                                but linen is supposed to wrinkle! there is no such think as a crisp. wrinkle-free linen outfit (or quilt - unless it's hanging on the wall). if it's loved - it'll be wrinkled - and it'll get softer and more yummy with every wash!!! there's nothing like the cool feel of linen in summertime! (and i'm allergic to the stuff... but it's still so fabulous !)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 120 users online. 0 members and 120 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X