[vb_main_1]

fabric fading

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

fabric fading

I see many members have fabric stored on shelves, i have mine wrapped on comic book boards and stored on bookcase shelves but I worry about the edges fading. They are not in direct sunlight but my sewing room is pretty bright with a lot of natural light. Am I being overly concerned ?

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

I don't think you are being overly concerned... Fabric will fade even in indirect light. I used to keep my fabric folded in shelves in bright light and the edges did fade. Also, I used to hang my quilts over the bannister, and they faded quite fast! Then I had that fade preventor film put on some of my windows, so that isn't a problem now in the foyer. But I don't have the film on my sewing room windows...

I have some of my fabric is in wire cubbies off to a dark side of my sewing room, and those are not fading. I also have bolts of fabric in a set of bookshelves that gets bright indirect light. To protect them, I hung large 3M Command Strips on the framework of the 3 shelves (each command hook is about 30" apart and near the top of the shelf). Then I sewed a large flannel design wall from two 90" lengths of 45" wide flannel. One seam and I had a flannel design 'wall' 90" square. I use black bulldog clips to hang on the command hooks and roll the top edge of the flannel to make it a bit thicker, and hang the 'wall' up. It covers the bookshelf and protect the fabric, and gives me an extra design space to boot! The only issue with it is that it's not a solid surface like a design wall is on the actual wall, so I have to use pins to hold up the blocks. But I still like it! It's easy to lift a side to reach under, or take it up/down as needed.

A nicer design/protector wall would be to use grommets to make holes to hook onto the command strips. Even buttonholes would work. But I am lazy! LOL

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Be concerned! I know a quilter who used to keep her fabrics nicely folded on open shelves. It looked amazing when you went into that room. The shelves did not get any direct sunlight, but the the room was light and airy overall. Some (not all) fabrics faded quite badly on the exposed fold line.

I have posted these before in the forum, but can't remember where and when (I bet Margo can!!). So I'll do it again. I keep my FQs in an open narrow bookcase. I used some scraps and made a simple quilted cover. I used velcro across the top, sticky side on the bookcase and sew-on side on the back of the quilt. When I need access to my FQs I simply rip off the quilt and pop it back on afterwards. I rather the quilt made from leftover fabrics fades then my FQs.

From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Lorchen, It took me a while, but I found it! http://forum/your-tips-and-discoveri...sewing-space-4

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
          Be concerned! I know a quilter who used to keep her fabrics nicely folded on open shelves. It looked amazing when you went into that room. The shelves did not get any direct sunlight, but the the room was light and airy overall. Some (not all) fabrics faded quite badly on the exposed fold line.

I have posted these before in the forum, but can't remember where and when (I bet Margo can!!). So I'll do it again. I keep my FQs in an open narrow bookcase. I used some scraps and made a simple quilted cover. I used velcro across the top, sticky side on the bookcase and sew-on side on the back of the quilt. When I need access to my FQs I simply rip off the quilt and pop it back on afterwards. I rather the quilt made from leftover fabrics fades then my FQs.
          What a great idea that looks great too!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: Margo, I knew you'd find it.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Reported!

Comment

Lorchen!
                Thanks for the idea. I'll be covering my shelf with a scrappy quilt and velcro. This will also help keep the dust out.
                cheers
                Jeanine

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 298 users online. 0 members and 298 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X