[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Cross-hatching on an appliqued quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be too late for you to use this no-math method of cross-hatching, but I'll post the link. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/videos...ath-method.htm I used it on a small wall quilt, nothing large and no sashing. Maybe it will be helpful.
    Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

Thank you so much! That must have been it, just that tiny amount and then some of the lines did not meet in a v at the top like they should. It has certainly happened to me with bias tape too. When I made it with that tube method and the last bit I cut just isn't big enough even though I drew lines 2.25"apart on the square. If the recipients of my quilts knew how much trouble I go to, to get things right they would be even more impressed! Who knew something so straightforward could be so tricky? Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by CarrieG
        It might be too late for you to use this no-math method of cross-hatching, but I'll post the link. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/videos...ath-method.htm I used it on a small wall quilt, nothing large and no sashing. Maybe it will be helpful.
        Thanks for that link, Carol! That is a great method for getting the divisions figured out!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks Carol - never too late for a no math method of anything! I have a distant memory of somebody demoing something like this on one of the shows....would it have been Bonnie Browning? Does anyone remember? It might not have been for cross-hatching but I do remember something to do with borders?

Comment

You're welcome! Would you all laugh if I tell you I am an accountant? LOL But accounting is not math, just numbers.
            Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
              Thanks Carol - never too late for a no math method of anything! I have a distant memory of somebody demoing something like this on one of the shows....would it have been Bonnie Browning? Does anyone remember? It might not have been for cross-hatching but I do remember something to do with borders?
              Episode 609 with Bonnie Browing! http://watch/watch-shows/video/show-...-happy-endings
              Check out starting at minute # 29

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I'm not sure how it was used in the show, but it's a good method for measuring for placing quilting motifs evenly in a border. Sue Nickels does this. It's also good for measuring scalloped edges on a quilt.

Comment

Originally posted by CarrieG
                  You're welcome! Would you all laugh if I tell you I am an accountant? LOL But accounting is not math, just numbers.
                  Ah, that would account for it! :lol:

Thanks Margo, I knew I had seen it somewhere. I must go and have a look at that again. It's such a simple and foolproof method isn't it? I wish I could remember it!

Comment

Well I see everybody is on board to help me, how great is that?! Funnily enough I had seen a demo of cross hatching on Allpeoplequilt but it was allover on an easy baby quilt of square blocks, so just follow the corners which didn't help me at all. I love the look of this method only I will have to go back again (and maybe again!) to see how to actually machine it and to understand why that method gives you a train wreck in the corners, so far I have fudged one corner and it looks okayish and cross hatched normally - at least it will to my non-quilty sister recipient. I feel like the guy in the joke now - Yes, boss but you only told me once! Thank goodness videos can go again and again. Reetzbobeetz, I wasn't going to mention it but the lady demoing this immediately reminded me of the one I saw on a Fat Quarter Shop video explaining how to use a marvellous ruler for making perfect prairie points and no folding little bits of cloth. Prairie points are borders aren't they. She looks just like her but on the Fat Quarter video she is sort of over the top Texan or something, really cute and funny about learning shortcuts as you get older and time is shorter. Or maybe it is just the paper you remember? Because I have a memory tickle of that. Thanks so much everyone - and on a Sunday too!

Comment

Hi Margarita -

I think the "train wreck" she talked about would be when the spacing of the cross-hatching on the shorter border is a lot different that the spacing on the longer border. If they are very different,then you won't be able to make them make nice squares in the corner areas. But if they are close, you can definintely fudge them to get a nice corner.

Comment

If anyone is interested to see this prairie point ruler demo, here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXM1GqnFQAQ. I looked again and I don't think that is a Texas accent but she is cute and funny. This is the Fat Quarter Shop notion of the month and on their Blog are the 3 other rulers Janet Platt invented.Guess what? I have a whole collection of rulers I bought at the beginning of my quilt journey, thinking they looked useful but most of them have never gotten out of the drawer where they hide. I just dug around and found a Fons & Porter Omnigrid ruler for Diagonal set triangles! So, I'm all fixed. Margo I see now you answered the borders question with the Quilt Show link, I'm going to look at that too because I am curious. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for that Margarita. A great technique for prairie points.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 26 users online. 0 members and 26 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X