[vb_main_1]

Single or double binding on a quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single or double binding on a quilt

Is there a reason for using single/double binding on a quilt? Is it a weight thing? I noticed Margo that you suggested to Karen Stone that she should try using bias binding instead of straight binding to help stop cupping. Would that have to be double bias binding to work?

I think it's a personal choice, Rita. When I made my first quilt (in the early 60s!!!) I had no instructions, and just folded the backing fabric over the front edges for the binding. It didn't take me long to realize that those thin edges showed wear pretty quickly. If you are making a project that will not be handled much, a single fold might be just fine.

I now use double folds on all my bindings, whether they are cut on the straight of grain, or the cross grain, or the bias, and whether they are piped or not because it's stronger on the part of the quilt that gets the most wear. My quilts are made to be used up and loved to death. Even so, I've replaced bindings on a couple of well loved quilts!

Think about it. Every time you spread a quilt on a bed, or reach to pull up it up snug on a cold night, you will probably be handling the edges. Every time you fold a quilt, you will handle the edges. The weight of the center of the quilt is usually just lying flat on a bed (or body!) without much stress. A show quilt is handled by the edges by the people who hang it and when they fold it to return it to the owner. The rest of the quilt is seldom touched.

Anyone else have pros and cons?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I'm with you, Margo.

Comment

Thanks Margo and Agnes, double-binding it is from now on.

Comment

A memory: Grandma always used to double her bindings too, to wear better. She also said to put the darker color border to the outer edge. She made quilts to be used! The darker border to the outside hides the dirt better. Well, they did not wash quilts as often as we do now, and the way they lived left more dust/dirt. Wood, oil, or coal heat, open windows, unpaved roads, etc. let more dirt in. Grandma died before art quilts evolved. I think she would have liked them .

Comment

Thanks Cathy - good advice there. I am sure your grandmother would have loved your 'friendship Garden' quilt.

Comment

Here is something I do before I bind a quilt. I use an archival pigma pen and I write a story all the way around the quilt. My story is hidden under the binding. It tells what is going on during the making of my quilt. I know which one has the story of 911, which one has the sunomi how ever you spell that and so on. but unless the binding is removed and or replace no one knows there is a hidden treasure inside my quilts but me... sometimes when I put a labelon my quilts the label lets teh owner of the quilt know there is a story under the binding...

I love to hide secrets in my quilts... I wonder who will find them when I am dead and gone? Bren

Comment

Originally posted by Millboroquilter
                Here is something I do before I bind a quilt. I use an archival pigma pen and I write a story all the way around the quilt. My story is hidden under the binding. It tells what is going on during the making of my quilt. I know which one has the story of 911, which one has the sunomi how ever you spell that and so on. but unless the binding is removed and or replace no one knows there is a hidden treasure inside my quilts but me... sometimes when I put a labelon my quilts the label lets teh owner of the quilt know there is a story under the binding...

I love to hide secrets in my quilts... I wonder who will find them when I am dead and gone? Bren
                I really like this idea! I think that I will do this on my next quilt.

Comment

I usually make a double binding for my quilts for many of the reasons expressed here. The exception is when I am putting a binding on a scalloped edge, or on a miniature quilt. A single bias lies smoother on a curve, especially a tight one, and is not as bulky on a small quilt.

Comment

What a beautiful idea Bren and I too will think on doing this on my next quilt, which if for one of my beloved grandchildren, thanks for sharing this great thought with us all.

Taree NSW - Australia
                    My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

What a great idea Bren, certainly one I want to copy and incorporate into mine. Thank you! Oh, is this idea copyrighted or may we use it too?

Comment

Just checking, I know it has been mentioned elsewhere, but the search engine can't cope with the word binding :roll:
                        What are the recommended/suggested widths to cut double binding? is it 2.5"?

Comment

I think I remember that Alex usually uses 4.25", but can't find where she said it. :?

Comment

In the beginning of show #211 Alex shows binding. She says she cuts the strips 2 and 1/8 inches.
                            Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

The width you cut the binding strip really depends on how wide you want the binding to be. What I like best is cutting the strip at 2.25" and leaving 3/8" of the quilt edge under the binding. If I want a really thin binding, I cut the strip at 2" and leave 1/4" of quilt edge. If using a thicker batting you could need to cut the binding strip wider to get the same width of binding.

Nancy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 102 users online. 0 members and 102 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X