[vb_main_1]

Method used to make a pattern?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Method used to make a pattern?

I am making a stretched- out curvy checkerboard. I have put fusible web on the back of white cloth and have drawn the lines that divide the dark from the light on this white cloth. I need to make a pattern to use to cut the black squares out of black cloth with fusible web on the back of it. I used a technique with Esterita Austin using paper that is cut out and is used to cut fabric to the same size as the pattern. I am not remembering if it was freezer paper and I am not sure freezer paper will peel off the right side of the fabric after it is ironed on. Somebody may have an idea of how to do this. I was going to weave the fabric but it gets too small to do this in some of the areas where the checkerboard is stretched to a small size of blocks. This is from a drawing that my son did. He doesn't want a throw or bed quilt so I wanted to do something he'd like. So a small wall quilt from his drawing is what I want to do. Thanks for your help. Jan

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Wow - sounds cool, and ambitious. I don't think you'd have any problem peeling off freezer paper after it's ironed. Should come off clean. You need a master pattern, and then one for black, and one for white. You could also paper piece the curves in strips, and then sew the strips together. Yeah, that's probably what I'd do. Good luck. 8)

Comment

I am not yet a paper piecer. I may have to do the white over as the black pieces might not perfectly cover the lines drawn on the white. Could I make the master pattern on freezer paper and then cut the pieces out of black and white cloth with fusible on the back? Maybe I"ll email Esterita and ask her how we did her patterns.

Comment

the only problem with putting the white on the black it shadowing. How are sewing it. Raw edge? If you do satin stitch it would cover any marks on the white. I also don't think you would have any problem with the freezer paper just remember to pre shrink it by ironing it to your pressing surface before putting it on your fabric.

Comment

It might help to review the TQS episode with Esterita: watch/watch-shows/video/show-506-picture-perfect

Comment

Is it possible to put fusible on the white and on the black; put them face up on top of each other; put your pattern on top; and cut. then the pieces would fit together perfectly (just take care when you fuse them that they line up where they should)? I don't know if this will work with your pattern but if it does, it seems like it would be the easiest way. Actually, you would have two when you were done.

Comment

Wow. I hadn't thought of cutting both the white and the black at the same time! I could number and color code the pattern. And to get two out of it, that's brilliant. Margo, I will look at the episode with Esterita. That class was torture. I took it many years ago and have never finished the wall quilt. Thanks Ritzy. I would like to do two, maybe one will come out OK. Thanks all, Jan

Comment

OH! Ritzy, just put a thought in my brain. How about cut away. you layer everything using fusible batting. sew on your design lines and cut away the top layer to reveal the second layer. no fusible web needed except in the batting. If the checker is in only one part of the quilt, may you could piece the black and white (layered) together into the design, then once you layer everything for quilting you could do the cut away. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 192 users online. 0 members and 192 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X