[vb_main_1]

Question about using silks and other fabrics

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about using silks and other fabrics

Is there anything to be aware of when planning a quilt using an assortment of non-cotton fabrics (silks, decorator fabric, etc.)? I was experimenting and made a beautiful block out of a variety of different types of fabrics from a sampler book I have. If I were to make a quilt of several different types of fabric, would washing it be a problem? Is there anything I need to do differently when combining unlike fabrics? Thanks!

I would watch out for shrinkage particularly in the decorator cottons (wash them before using). Otherwise it really depends on what the finished item is for. Is it to be an item that will require washing? when they are all combined together you will have to wash it at the temp. etc for the most delicate fabric in the group (probably the silk - that said silk is a lot tougher than you would sometimes give it credit for, think parachutes!) But still do trial washes to find out what happens before you piece/quilt your item.

Another point, if you are mixing very light weight with heavy weight fabrics, if you are planning on piecing them I would suggest interlining* the lightweight with some pre-shrunk muslin to give it some extra body othewise in time this will be a point of weakness and will wear much faster than the others.

* interlining - put a layer of fabric behind and use them as one.

By the way trying to do hst's in velvet is a complete :twisted: - ask me or Maureen/ScottishQuilter or Nan from the Sottts group how we know!

Comment

Thanks for the great advice about dissimilar fabrics, Rosemary! And for the sorting hats you ladies made for Deb and Clara! They are just TOO STINKIN' CUTE!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

One additional note to Rosemary's comments about silk: Silk is very fragile when wet. Handle
        gently at that time, or you may have a disaster. Ask me how I know.

Comment

I've used gold and silver lame fabric for stars. Watch the ironing...use a pressing cloth! LIke SuperJudy and RosyP, I seem to learn the hard way!

Comment

I would add that you might want to use a light weight interfacing for the fabrics that might fray a lot so when there is stress added to the seams it does not ravel on you.

Comment

Rosemary, those are the cutest hats! Your advice is really great. I have worked with silk extensively back in my wedding clothes design days. Here is what I learned about working with it: Silk is washable for the most part, but don't ever wash the heavier brocades--those you can steam to take care of any shrinkage (it's usually very minimal for silk anyway). When you steam it, hold the iron just above the fabric and let the steam penetrate it, leaving it flat on the ironing surface to fully dry before moving it..don't press it flat with the iron. You can touch the iron to dupioni and silk broadcloths though.

Also, silk colors tend to run more than other fabrics, so wash colors separately. GENTLY hand wash silk in cold or lukewarm water and flat air dry on a towel covered flat area for best results. That jersey fusible interfacing makes a really nice underlining for delicate, lighter fabrics, but sometimes fusing it makes it change its hand or look too much, so underlining with a light cotton batiste (which is also prewashed) is better...it depends..do a test. It sounds a little fussy, but what would you expect from the queen and prima donna of fabrics. :lol: :lol:

That said, I LOVE silk and working on silk. It sews so well and responds so nicely and looks fantastic and truly lasts and lasts.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 53 users online. 0 members and 53 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X