[vb_main_1]

sewing room design

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

sewing room design

Does anyone have an idea of good resources to help redesign a bedroom into a sewing/guest room? Thanks, Leslie

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Didn't Ricky recently go through the angst of redesigning his sewing room/studio and write about it, asking for ideas from members?.

I'm sure that Margo 8) can send us in the right direction to find the entries :wink:

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Check here for the Daily Blog about Ricky's studio: http://daily-blog/107-just-for-fun/1...ting-organized

Here are the "Show & Tell" photos from that blog: see-quilts/show-and-tell-quilts/

You might also want to check out these books: http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Your-...860&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Sewing-S...860&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Your-S...860&sr=8-3

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks, Margo. I somehow missed all the ideas from other TQS members! Lots of inspiration there, and those books look interesting, too. I appreciate your help. Leslie

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
          Lois Hallock, the author of the first book listed here, came to our guild a few years ago. I left very enthusiastic about organizing my quilt studio (sewing room?) The most valuable thing was to fold my fabric in uniform sizes. It took a while, but it made a huge difference. And, I've pretty much kept it that way. I can see everything, and the edges of the fabrics aren't distracting me like when it was haphazard.
          Kathy

Comment

There is a magazine called "Studio". If you buy a couple of them you should get lots of ideas and you can at the same time look at lots of pictures of the sewing rooms / studios of quilters and fibre artists. If I remember rightly, the publisher is 'Interweave'.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
              There is a magazine called "Studio". If you buy a couple of them you should get lots of ideas and you can at the same time look at lots of pictures of the sewing rooms / studios of quilters and fibre artists. If I remember rightly, the publisher is 'Interweave'.
              I love that magazine! I'm a studio junkie-I've said that here many times-and I really like seeing where people create.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Good question - I needed such help a while back. The books were a big help ( think it was before Ricky's postings). I too endorse the folding of fabric; it's been a real help. Also the one thing I wish I had known was to have a dedicated electric line for irons. My DH created my room for me and it would have been so easy at the time. Now some things sort of dim a bit when the irons are on.
                Enjoy your new space!
                Oh, one other thing - paint your room whatever color makes you happy. The idea of a "neutral background" sound logical, but did you see that bright red studio of the latest TQS guest ( sorry, sorry, can't remember her name). Now that surely makes her heart sing to walk into that room!

Comment

Susan Brubaker Knapp is featured in TQS Episode 901 watch/
                  Here is the Smilebox tour of her home: http://daily-blog/107-just-for-fun/1...brubaker-knapp

Comment

Although we are answering maybe too late be sure you get my PM about a book. Mary Noel

Comment

Margo,
                      what is the URL for your fabric folding tutorial? I had it bookmarked, I swear I did! ops:

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Here you go, Eileen!

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563306368ujRyrP

Comment

What I have learned is that you must use those items that work for you and will work in your space. I love to look at other people's sewing rooms and/or design studios. I see lots of cute things - some would work for me and others would not. Think about what you have that really works for you. Make sure you use that in your new bedroom/studio. My studio is in a bonus room over the garage but it does not have any closets. I would love to have a closet to hide all this mess but I don't so I do what I can without it. Think about how you like to work - do you want to get up to cut and iron or would your work station be better with a cutting table/ironing station on the right or left of your machine so that you can turn in your chair? That is how mine is set up but my BFF likes to get up and iron and cut and that is how hers is set up.

Enjoy your journey - it will be fun!

Comment

Hey, CarolinaGirl, mine is over the garage too! The floor dimensions make it sound huge but there are those angled walls to deal with! No space for a design wall (permanently, that is..). But I love it because it's mine (and the grands when they come over :-)

Comment

I have the same kind of walls - beautiful architectual details but not great for items like closets or permanent design walls but there are ideas for work arounds for all those things! Keep searching - there are lots of fun things to make it work.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 70 users online. 0 members and 70 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X