[vb_main_1]

WhAT BATTING TO USE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

WhAT BATTING TO USE

I am finally putting the "Star Crazy" quilt together and want to make it king size. I am just thinking of increasing the last white border to make the quilt 110x110.

I am planning to give this quilt to my daughter and will have it long arm quilted. She wants the quilt to be light weight. I am afraid the Hobbs 80/20 will be too heavy.

I plan to have it custom quilted since she rally likes the way the original is quilted, so trying to find a batt that will show some nice quilting, but not be too heavy.

HELP! Janet

Try wool!! Gives beautiful definition with very little weight. I like Hobb's Washable Wool, but Quilter's Dream wool is supposed to be great!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks Margo, I was wondering how wool would look. Janet

Comment

Wool shows the quilting wonderfully!!! It's lightweight and it breathes so your daughter won't be too warm or too cool. A couple of my clients won't use anything else.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I think you should try the wool also.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Thanks everyone-looks like it will be wool for sure!!!

Has anyone used silk? Janet

Comment

silk is very thin, drapes beautifully, and costs like shot!!! :shock:

Comment

Does the silk show up the quilting? This is for a daughter who appreciates anything fabric related, etc. she is a weaver and a quilter, so for her I might do the silk? Janet

Comment

No, silk is flat. If you want the quilting to have definition, I would use wool.

Comment

Thanks Margo, that's the info I needed!!! Janet

Comment

Once again, Margo, to rescue with the answers! Thanks.
                      Lynn

Comment

I want to quilt a pieced tablecloth but don't want the look the be exactly like a quilt after I've machine quilted it. I didn't like the no batting look because it didn't give any definition to the tablecloth. The warm and natural was too thick to have a vase of flowers sitting firmly on it. Has anyone used a batting that gives a nice feel but not too thick? All suggestions will be appreciated. I've been making small samples and just haven't found the right combination yet.

An extra note is that the tablecloth has quite a few seams if that makes a difference in your suggestions.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
                        <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

JoJo, try Quilter's Dream "REQUEST" weight. It's thinner than their "SELECT", and may just what you need.
                          It is 100% cotton, but can be quilt as far apart as 8" and only has about 1% shrinkage.

Let me know if you want me to send you a piece of it for you to try. I have some scraps from a recent project.

Comment

Thanks Margo. I called around locally and it looks like I will need to order that one online. It sounds like it could be the winner. I would be happy to pay for postage if you have a small piece that I can test.

Hey -- how about a trade? I'll mail you a bar of homemade soap for a bit of batting!

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
                            <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Originally posted by ladyquilter
                              Thanks Margo. I called around locally and it looks like I will need to order that one online. It sounds like it could be the winner. I would be happy to pay for postage if you have a small piece that I can test.

Hey -- how about a trade? I'll mail you a bar of homemade soap for a bit of batting!
                              OoOOOHHhhHHH....works for me! I'll send you a PM!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 92 users online. 0 members and 92 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X