[vb_main_1]

Repairing an old quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing an old quilt

Another question. I have a quilt made by my grandmother and mother that is again at least 50+ years old. The hand stitched blanket stitch around the applique is all rotting and falling off, the applique pieces were hand stitched on and go through all the layers of the quilt so those stitches I can see on the back. The blanket stitch was added later, as it only goes through the top piece. I am not a hand stitcher, so I thought I could try machine stitching the blanket stitch around the applique. I have done a part of one block and wanted to show it for anyones opinion. The machine stitching is making the area stiffer due to the extra thread, and now I am wondering if maybe I should just straight stitch around the applique and leave it at that. Here are two pictures, one of the front and one showing the blanket stitch on the back. I do want to use the quilt, not just leave it in a cupboard. What do you quilters out there think?? The rest of the quilt is holding together beautifully, it's just the green embroidery thread that has rotted. The one pic of the front, I have machine stitched around the outside edge, the inner edge is still with the old thread in place.
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Laura, just on the strength of the pictures, without knowing how the quilt feels and handles, I would go with the machine blanket stitch. But it may be an idea to do a sample piece with different threads, so that you use a nice and thin thread. How about Masterpiece by Superior? You should have a pyjama party when that quilt is ready to be used again.

By the way, I have a couple of these old manual coffee grinders, but mine are brown, not green.
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 74 users online. 0 members and 74 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
    X