[vb_main_1]

What to do with a vintage embroidery piece

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a vintage embroidery piece

I have 2 hand embroidered pieces that were in picture frames that were made for me in 1956. I have taken them out of the frames and would like to incorporate them into a quilt. They are a on a muslin fabric. I know what i want to do for a quilt, but I am a little unsure as to what to do with the pieces before sewing them in. Do I wash them first? And how? I'm thinking that the quilt would be a wall hanging rather than something that is used all the time. I'd sure appreciate any tips or ideas on what to do with these pieces before I take the plunge.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Laura, my Mom does counted cross stitch, and she made a quilt from 50 of her cross stitched State Flower squares a few years ago. A major issue with the embroidery would be if the floss is color fast. If it ran, that would be awful! I imagine that Retayne and a color catcher sheet might help, but I would be afraid to try without testing first. A textile that old (well, it's younger than me ) is going to be quite delicate. My Mom uses a plastic basin, with a little bit of Ivory liquid dishwashing soap and cool water, and just lets her pieces sit in it for a few minutes. Rinse thoroughly with cool water, by letting it soak a few minutes, and then she lays it on a big towel to let it dry. If it's not really dirty, maybe skip the washing and do what I've seen recommended, vacuum the dust off the surface- cover the hose with a couple of layers of cheesecloth, or they used to recommend pantyhose, to keep the force of the vacuum low. They said don't touch the surface but go about 1/2 inch above the surface.
    Doesn't Cindy Needham have a book about using embroidered textiles in her quilts? I remember there was a show with her, what number was it? I would believe what she says more than my not-so-experienced advice.
    Kathy

Comment

Cindy Needham's web site is: http://www.cindyneedham.com/

She was featured in Episode 202: http://watch/watch-shows/video/show-...extile-revival

Comment

If the pieces were done in 1956 with current embroidery flosses and not fancy threads the threads are probably color fast. However, it never hurts to take the extra precautions. Upon my mom passing away I received a lot of her embroidery work as well as works that she inherited from my grandmother. As all were used over the years and laundered many times I never gave color fastness a thought.

Comment

Oh, that is pretty! I think I will try the ivory soap soak. The thread looks like regular embroidery floss in pastel colors. Not quite my palette but I think it will be good once I get it together.

Comment

Thanks, Laura. I now enjoy the "teacloth" and have daily memories rather than it being hidden at the bottom of a drawer.

Comment

During Festival of Quilts last year I went back a couple of times to have another look at a beautiful wallhanging that was made with all sorts of vintage pieces of linen. It was called "Woman's Inheritance" and made by the Norwegian Tone Storhaug. I think it's an amazing piece and shows how old bits and pieces can become a real heirloom. I would have loved to tell the quilter that, for me, her piece was one of the best in the show. Taking pictures was allowed, so I can share these with you:

And a close-up:

From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

That is absolutely gorgeous!
                I washed my pieces today, I was surprised how dirty the water was!! They are dried and pressed and I have been going through my stash to find fabrics, I'm going to have to go shopping, I have almost nothing for pastels, especially the colors that are in the pieces. I'm finding this a challenge as the pastels are sure not colors I would pick out to use or have ever been fond of. But this is a project I have been wanting to do for a while.
                From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I would also suggest you check out Cindy Needham's show on TQS as well as her book & website. She does amazing work with linens!!

I am making a wallhanging for my sister with her counted cross-stitch blocks. Because of the loose weave of the aida cloth, I backed them with interfacing. I don't think you'd need to do that if the embroidery is on muslin.

I hope you post your project!!
                  Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                  working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                  Tired. 
                  Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                  Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

I went and checked out Cindy Needhams show then went to her website and drooled over the gorgeous quilts she has done. Now I have a totally different idea for doing these! I think it's going to take some thinking and playing with fabric before I make any decisions as to what to do. But I will post pics and I'm really looking forward to trying this.
                    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                    Tired. 
                    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

Lorchen--That is really gorgeous.

Here's what I did to showcase some of Mom's and Grandmother's work along with my quilting. As this was largely done as a tribute to my Mom I used colors that she gravitated to for the quilted parts. I also pinned on a few of her jewelery pieces.

I played with the photo. This should be easier to see the detail. The outer border was a strip of fabric, with mitered corners. Any crochet work was my Mom's, cross stitch was Grandmother's. The embroidery with the blue curved fabric was a runner on Grandmother's sewing machine. I thought it was necessary to incorporate it as she was the biggest influence in my fabric/fiber journey.
                      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                      Tired. 

Comment

What a treasure, Agnes! I love that all 3 generations had a part in this. The outer border fabric with the light pink flowers is perfect! (I'm assuming it is the print of the fabric. Maybe it is lace?)
                        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                        Tired. 

Comment

Agnes, that is such an heirloom! It can be difficult to successfully combine different types of handwork, but this is wonderful.

Joyce, if you click twice on the photo you can get a closer view. It looks to me like the fabric in the border features two colors of daises. It makes a perfect frame!

Comment

Originally posted by she-quilts
                            I would also suggest you check out Cindy Needham's show on TQS as well as her book & website. She does amazing work with linens!!

I am making a wallhanging for my sister with her counted cross-stitch blocks. Because of the loose weave of the aida cloth, I backed them with interfacing. I don't think you'd need to do that if the embroidery is on muslin.

I hope you post your project!!
                            When I was at the RSN glueing or putting adhesives on the back of embroideries was utterly frowned upon, unless you could confidently undo the work (conservationist thinking), and I still have a bit of a mental problem about allowing glues near my embroideries. An alternative would be to tack a piece of fabric onto the back and then treat them as one, it can be interesting to experiment with different colours to see how they affect the look of the work.

Rosemary

Comment

Yes, that makes sense Rosemary. Good point! A layer of fabric would be a good alternative. (I'm pretty sure in my sister's case, no one will want the piece once she is gone. )
                              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                              Tired. 

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 96 users online. 0 members and 96 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X