[vb_main_1]

Now need piecing advice - new photo added -

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now need piecing advice - new photo added -

Can you give me any tips to draw this block in EQ? I have version 7. My friend is trying to hand-piece this but as a 6" block and the pattern is written for a 12" block. I need help getting those outer pieces along the edge drawn in. Well, and those rays too! I got the center square all right! :P
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

I don't know about Electric Quilt, but if a block is written for a 12" and you want a 6" surely all you need to do is divide all the numbers by half (or print it out at 50%) - or am I missing something?
    Nice pattern by the way.

Rosemary
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

Yep! What Rosemary said! Just reduce the scale on your printer! I would definitely make a sample to test the pattern pieces before I cut out a whole quilt!

In fact, that's a good idea with ANY pattern! And if you make all your sample blocks out of co-ordinating fabrics, one day you will have enough for a sampler quilt! Try it in Christmas fabrics! Or 30s prints! Or Batiks!

As for an EQ design, couldn't you start with one of the Dresden Plates in the EQ library and add a border to square off the ends of the divisions?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
        I don't know about Electric Quilt, but if a block is written for a 12" and you want a 6" surely all you need to do is divide all the numbers by half (or print it out at 50%) - or am I missing something?
        Nice pattern by the way.

Rosemary
        Yes, that is what df & I had thought ... just 1/2 the size of the blocks. I wasn't sure that was working right for her. :?: I'll see if she has a printer and can print it at 50%. She was having a hard time getting the outer pieces to go correctly so that is why I thought maybe drafting it in EQ the correct size would help. Good to know you think that dividing by 1/2 is good!
        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
        Tired. 

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
          Yep! What Rosemary said! Just reduce the scale on your printer! I would definitely make a sample to test the pattern pieces before I cut out a whole quilt!

In fact, that's a good idea with ANY pattern! And if you make all your sample blocks out of co-ordinating fabrics, one day you will have enough for a sampler quilt! Try it in Christmas fabrics! Or 30s prints! Or Batiks!

As for an EQ design, couldn't you start with one of the Dresden Plates in the EQ library and add a border to square off the ends of the divisions?
          Ah! Yes, starting with a dresden might be the ticket! Dear Friend is making a Diary Quilt so just needs one block like this.

Thanks!
          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
          Tired. 

Comment

She has made this much. Do you see how the beige outside edge isn't fitting right/laying flat?

Advice I can give her?

Oh, btw, she is in Brazil and I'm in the US. Hence, a bit more difficult to "help"!
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            Tired. 

Comment

Just a thought, looking at the original photo, the edge piece does not look like it is symmetrical. Could she have put this on reversed?
              Kathy

Comment

Assuming the templates are drawn without seam allowances, I was able to determine that the trapezoids were 3" on the long side and 7/8" high. I wasn't sure about the center square but estimated it to be 1 1/2". That size can easily be changed if you have a different measurement as those are the last lines to draw.

Drawing Board Setup: 6" square - Snap Grid 48 - Graph Paper 48

Divide into 8 triangles (like a pinwheel - horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines through center). Add to sketchbook after each step.

Draw a line 7/8" from outside edge on all sides.

Draw 45 degree angles from center of each side to 7/8" line (2 1/8" from side). You will be drawing 2 lines on each side to finish the trapezoids.

Draw lines from 7/8" line at 2 1/8" point where previous lines stopped to center of block.

Draw center square. I drew mine at 1 1/2" (3/4" from center on all 4 sides).

Add to sketchbook. Delete all extra lines then add to sketchbook again.

Just take it one step at a time. These are all 45 degree angles so it isn't that hard as long as you have some of the starting measurements.

Comment

Annis, you are amazing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ajclapp
                    Assuming the templates are drawn without seam allowances, I was able to determine that the trapezoids were 3" on the long side and 7/8" high. I wasn't sure about the center square but estimated it to be 1 1/2". That size can easily be changed if you have a different measurement as those are the last lines to draw.
                    Oh my goodness, you are amazing!!! Thank you!!! HOORAY!!
                    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                    Tired. 

Comment

Just a quick statement on reducing with a printer or copier. Remember you are also reducing the seam allowance when you use that method. So mark one quarter inch inside the original template, then reduce, then again add on the quarter inch seam allowance from the line you made. I learned this the hard way long ago. Betty Ann
                      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                      Tired. 

Comment

Brilliant tutorial, Annis! Thanks!

Betty Ann I hadn't even thought about that!! GOOD POINT!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I love the Kansas City Star quilt patterns. Your pattern, The Sunbeam Block, was published on July 31, 1929. Considering the fact that it is almost 82 years old it is in great shape. I collect these patterns and have almost all of the 1000+ patterns they published. The one thing I have found out is they are not always drawn so that they will really work! I make several copies of the pattern, then cut out all the pieces and see if they fit together like they should! Once I have tinkered with them, if they need it, I redraw them with the 1/4 inch seam allowance and go to town. I'm starting to get really jealous of you gals with the EQ. Maybe it could be my next expensive toy!

Comment

Originally posted by she-quilts
                            She has made this much. Do you see how the beige outside edge isn't fitting right/laying flat?

Advice I can give her?

Oh, btw, she is in Brazil and I'm in the US. Hence, a bit more difficult to "help"!
                            I don't think that that can be 'quilted out' :wink: but I would also go back and check that the original pattern pieces went together as planned, and double check their locations to the pattern.

Rosemary

Comment

If the photo is accurate, the rays on the center motif are not the same size. :cry: It almost appears that
                              one side was cut with seam allowances and the reverse without. If the rays were made equal, the outside
                              framing pieces might very well fit.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 71 users online. 0 members and 71 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X