[vb_main_1]

Moving-How to Pack Quilts for Storage

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving-How to Pack Quilts for Storage

We are moving from Hawaii to AZ. My quilts and sewing machines will be in storage for at least 2-3 months. What is the best way to pack my quilts for long storage ? Movers will pack my machines.
    Is there anything special I need to do to them before they are packed away?

I'm interested in seeing what kind of tips you get! The only thing I can suggest is DO NOT PUT THEM IN PLASTIC TRASH BAGS!!
    I would hate for them to accidentally wind up at the landfill!! :shock:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Fold them on the bias to the desired width and then roll up. They make nice packages. Less wear and tear on the fabric. Plus there is no "fold or crease" line that developes.

Looks kind of like the way Alex displays her quilts on a bookcase.

You probably need to put them in a pillowcase or cloth bag. You do not want the quilts in direct contact with those packing boxes.

Let's hear from someone else if they should go into plastic to prevent moisture problems.

Coast of South Carolina USA
      Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

No hints specifically for storage. When I was first quilting there was an article in a magazine for shipping written by a woman who had experience of her quilt having been oil contaminated in shipping. Her suggestion, which I have always followed, was to pack it in a plastic bag inside the shipping carton because you couldn't control where it could end up. I know that I would definitely place mine in plastic if I were looking at long term storage. Moving and storage might be different but from receiving freight from our warehouse while in retail you wouldn't believe what dumb things occurred. The fragile boxes were on the bottom of the pile with the cases of paint on top and left to bounce hundreds of miles that way. One can't be too careful!!

Coast of South Carolina USA
        Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

So plastic garbage bags may be necessary, but be sure that they are clearly labeled!!! :shock:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I would roll my quilts, then put them in cloth bags made from old sheets (if no time just wrap each roll in a piece of sheeting), then in a plastic bag, but not too tight so that air can circulate. And I would put a couple of sachets of these granules that attract moisture between the cloth bag and the plastic bag. I have no idea what those sachets are called, but you quite often find them inside a new handbag. It's the only way I know that would avoid damp problems when keeping textiles over some time in a completely sealed plastic bag.

Good luck with the move!
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I would cover the tops with a sheet, fold them in diagonals with the sheet inside and put them in those big, thick plastic zip lock bags. They come in very big sizes quite large enough for a quilt. Another idea is to use swimming pool noodles to roll them up on and again put them in those super big zip lock bags. Then box them up with plastic bubble wrap around the edges of the boxes.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                And I would put a couple of sachets of these granules that attract moisture between the cloth bag and the plastic bag. I have no idea what those sachets are called, but you quite often find them inside a new handbag. It's the only way I know that would avoid damp problems when keeping textiles over some time in a completely sealed plastic bag.
                Those granules are silica gel. I used it many years ago to dry flowers. You can find it at a floral supply store or possible a craft store like Michael's or Joann's.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

As someone who has had several military moves in my life, I would caution when having the movers pack your machines....If you have the original boxes/styrofoam, etc, I would have them already packed in the original container when the movers come. We kept all the boxes/packing stuff for our appliances, TVs, computers, etc while on active duty (yes, a pain to store but things suffered much less damage than if left to the devices of someone wrapping them in some thick paper and tossing them in a dishpack or big box. Thanks. Nancy

Comment

I agree totally with Lorchen! The quilts need to be able to breath, but I would even add to the outside of my roll, some batting that I might have on hand. More breathing room. Ideally, you would not want it in a plastic bag, but since "life happens" it would be advisable to have the final bag be a strong, air tight bag. And, of course something to capture the moister, like the silica gel. Just buy a big bag/box of it at your local craft store, and make your own little sachets. I would not put them right next to the quilt, but probaby between the batting and the plastic.

Dawn
                    In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me some advice. I'm having a real hard time with the thought of my machines being in storage. Someone suggested I'd be better off shipping them FedEx.

I will take the time to wrap the quilts in the sheets and fold them as was advised.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Kathy

Comment

If using a trash bag as the final layer, I would advise purchasing clear trash bags so as the contents would not be mistaken for garbage if the storage box breaks. Please donot forget to document your quilts before packing, so you have an inventory when you unpack. Clear photos with label information may be enough. And please have a record of your quilts in a secondary location.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 64 users online. 0 members and 64 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X