[vb_main_1]

Quilting with Perle No 5

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting with Perle No 5

I want to use a Perle thread to do big stitch quilting. My question is about starting and ending a line of stitches. Is there a special way to do this? I started with Prele No 5 but I made a big hole when I buried my knot at the beginning and the same thing happened at the end. Is Perle No 5 too thick? Should I be using Perle No 7 or 8? What am I doing wrong?

I would like to know the answer too. Laura Wasalaski (sp?) embellishes her quilts with emobroidery all the time and she may have the answer on her blog or might aswer the question for you. Her web address is http://www.artfabric.com or look for her blog link in our blog section.
    Cindy

Comment

Nikki Tinkler does this type of quiltingin her book 'Quilting with a Difference' ISBN 1-900371-70-7, she also has an accompanying dvd.

I don't know if she has a website but enquiries to mailto:nikkitinkler@ntlworld.com about this and other books she has written.

Rosemary

Comment

G'day Girls,
        Thank you for the advice. I'll try emailing Nikki & Laura and get back to you with their replies.

Comment

THE REPLY FROM NIKKI:-

Hello Chris

Firstly, never let a thread stop you from using it! I've used Perle thread successfully on numerous quilts, although it's fair to say that it slides far more happily through an open-weave fabric than a closely-woven fabric.

Regardless of what number Perle you choose, firstly, make a neat, simple knot, ie a 'tale in a circle' knot and NOT a fancy quilters' knot, and certainly NOT a wet-finger, roly-poly knot.
          Pull the knot as tight as you can to make it as small as you can. This should 'pop' through most cotton fibre fabrics quite easily (see ** and *** below).

You will presumably be using a larger-shanked needle to accommodate the thicker thread: the larger shank should feasibly provide a hole in the fabric which is large enough for the thread to pass through - sometimes, you can help the 'knot popping' stage by gently prising the fibres a little wider with the point of the needle, and then running a fingernail over the tiny hole afterward to 'close' it.

However, some cotton fibre fabrics are quite densely woven and may be hard to work with. If you have any worry at all about your quilt surface fibres being distorted or ruined, or if the fabric is too densely woven, then make an exception in that case and 'pop' your knot through your backing fabric. Very useful to remember when working with silks, etc.

**You should be taking your needle into the fabric and running it through the wadding for approx. three quarters of the needle's length to give the knot somewhere to travel. A quarter inch or so is not enough space, especially for thicker threads.

***If your knot sets up resistance (ie you get it as far as the fabric surface and it won't 'pop' through), pull the knot about an inch or so away from the fabric, hold the fabric taught with one hand and try to pull and 'pop' the knot in one fluid motion: it's called "catching the knot unawares" - don't give the knot a chance to think about it (ie the Psychology of the Knot!).

I hope this has answered your questions? Good luck with your quilting - come back to me if I can help any more.
          Please feel free to post my reply on your forum, if you feel it may help others.

My NTL address will become obsolete soon, but I can always be contacted via my (non-commercial) website: http://www.nikkitinkler.com, or my alternative email address: mailto:nikkitinkler@hotmail.com.

All best wishes
          Nikki Tinkler
          http://www.nikkitinkler.com
          Author of:
          "Quilting With A Difference", and
          "The Quilters' and Patchworkers' Stitch Bible"
          (details on website)

Comment

REPLY FROM LAURA

Hi Chris,
            I would recommend a size 8 thread rather than the size 5. You'll still get a nice big stitch but with less effort. Pair the thread with a Size 4 needle and it may be easier to bury the knots.
            I'd love to see what you are making. Send me a photo!
            Happy Stitching!
            Laura

Comment

I just started a big stitch project with number 5 pearl cotton. I like "weaving" in and out of the stitches between the layers rather than using knots. I also do this with regular hand quilting as well.

I do have a question, what size needle are you using? The number 18 crewel I am using just seems soooo long compared to the 11 quilting needle I am used to. Suggestions are appreciated. Melissa

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 72 users online. 0 members and 72 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X