[vb_main_1]

Chain Piecing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Piecing

Hi. I've had this problem before, and now just asking rather than struggling again. I'm chain piecing scrappy half-square triangles. As I feed the triangle point into the machine (Bernina 440), the points gets caught and does not feed through. Makes a mess of the point and I end up tossing the square. Any advice on the best way to feed the triangles through the machine without them getting caught? Thanks for the help! Ron

couple of things take a small scrap of fabric as you begin piecing
    use the needle down feature, lift the presser foot part way and feed the half square triangles to that point, put the presser foot down and stitch
    stitch slowly and let the feed dogs do the work for you
    when you get to the end of the half square triangles you're doing use a second piece of fabric to end with so that there's no catch at the end.

Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Hey Ron! Yep! I've got the answer for you! You need to use a starty/stoppy at the beginning and ending of any kind of chain piecing to keep tension on the thread tails. They are just small scraps of fabric used to start and end a line of stitching. An added benefit is that it saves a lot of thread that is normally cut off at the beginning and ending of a line of stitching, as well as not having to deal with the long tails of thread!

You can see here that I've started sewing on my "starty" then fed first unit through the machine. When you are sewing triangles the machine doesn't eat that leading edge if it's already stitched across the "starty". (I really like Alex's 4-in-1 tool for cutting the thread gaps between the patches!)

At the end of a chain of pieces, I sew off onto a "stoppy" which will then become the starting scrap for the next line of stitching.

BTW...You need to send Keith a note and ask him what he calls them! :wink:

OOPS...Teri, I guess we were posting at the same time! Great minds and all that......

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

This is exactly what I wanted to describe. You rock Margo!
        Teri

Comment

Thanks for responding so quickly, Teri and Margo!!! Why aren't you watching the Oscars? Or, maybe you are! This is very helpful, but I think I'm just being dense - I've been using a scrap to get started and when I end the chain. But, this happens in the middle of the chain. I'll get a run of several good ones, then all of a sudden Wham!!! the triangle gets stuck. It's almost like either the feed dogs don't catch or the points get caught under the plate. Maybe I'm going too fast? Thanks again. Ron

Comment

For what it is worth--I do all my piecing with the straight stitch foot and plate. Amazing how far fewer pieces get eaten at the beginning compared to using the zig zag foot and plate. Of course, machines differ so this may not be useful information. I always also use stoppers and starters but like as not they are just another project, sitting at the machine for that precise purpose.

I use a real work horse machine, Singer Professional, so I have no special features like needle up/down or whatever. Also I have to physically change the feed dogs and plate, undoing four small screws but it is worth the effort for me even if on occasion I lose a screw.

Comment

Oh dear! ops: I'm afraid proper folk like Jean Wells call them "Bunny Tails", but my mom prefers the scientific/latin and refers to those starters and stoppers as 'gonads'. We're pretty scientific at my house too...

Comment

Originally posted by Ron114
                Thanks for responding so quickly, Teri and Margo!!! Why aren't you watching the Oscars? Or, maybe you are! This is very helpful, but I think I'm just being dense - I've been using a scrap to get started and when I end the chain. But, this happens in the middle of the chain. I'll get a run of several good ones, then all of a sudden Wham!!! the triangle gets stuck. It's almost like either the feed dogs don't catch or the points get caught under the plate. Maybe I'm going too fast? Thanks again. Ron
                When I had this problem I learned to hold onto the previous piece behind the presser foot, giving it a slight tug, as I was sewing the next piece until it cleared the point. Most of the time when I'm sewing triangles now I'm sewing on paper and the machine I'm using now doesn't give me as much trouble. I don't have a straight stitch plate although I'm sure that would help. I would be afraid that I would change the needle position and end up with a broken needle.

Comment

speeding is subject to a "speeding violation". Slowing down particularly when feeding in the hst's is a good idea.
                  The straight stitch plate helps a lot because the fabric has now where to go.

Teri
                  Teri

Comment

A straight-stitch plate definitely helps a lot. My machine has a 'stitch-lock' so you can't accidently change your stitch or needle position with the straight stitch plate on there. But if your machine doesn't have that, you could always put a brightly colored sticky note near any needle or stitch positioning buttons/levers/etc to remind you to not do that.
                    "Gonads" - heh heh... I like it... I usually just call my "starter and stopper" pieces of fabric "where the heck did that thing go?" Maybe I need something more creative?
                    -Tina
                    Teri

Comment

OK, I think maybe if you use a straight stitch plate and foot it will help; but, you do need to hold on the the ones that have already gone thru. The other thing that might be the problem is--new needle--if your needle is dull it can cause those kinds of problems.
                      Teri

Comment

Definitely consider in investing in a single hole "straight stitch" throat plate. Not only will is help in this situation, but it is also ideal for free-motion quilting.

One thing you might do until you get the throat plate is to not start at the point. I try to start my triangle pieces at the place where the seam allowance is. This may mean you have to lift the pressure foot as you start each patch (the knee lifter really helps here) but by placing the patch at the seam line instead of the point helps the feed dogs feed the patch through better.
                        Teri

Comment

Thank you all! It's amazing what I am learning. I've never heard of a straight stitch throat plate! I doubt I have one so will order one. Also, given the other suggestions I can't wait to get home tonight to get back to the machine. Thanks against to everyone for taking the time to help me out.

Ron

Comment

Hi Ron, I just looked at your profile quilts! Holy Cow! those are some beautiful quilts. You certainly seem to have conquered many of the technical issues we all struggle with, like sewing bias. That star rhapsody quilt is simply gorgeous. Thanks for posting some of your quilts.

Kathy

Comment

Another way to prevent the corner being "eaten" is to cut them off (like take off the bunny ears before you sew the half squares together. Just trim off a 1/4" at right angles to the straight edge-same as if you are using the "Easy Angle" ruler to cut them). I also saw somewhere that if you end with your needle down, your feed dogs are also at lowest point and it is easier to slide the new piece under the pressure foot! Have fun-you should have been in the Traveling HTS's swap-lots of experience sewing those little buggers! Bev

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 128 users online. 0 members and 128 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X