[vb_main_1]

Flying with a machine

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with a machine

I am going to a class this month and need to take my machine. I'm nervous about checking it or sending it in the mail. Has anyone had any experience taking their machine through security? I'll be going through the Denver and San Jose, CA airports.

I have traveled several times with my machine. I was able to slide it under the seat. Security was fine, in fact they were very hekpful. I wish you luck!
    Patti

Comment

I use the Tutti rolling case for my Bernina. Rollable, light, and squishable. Take out the needle and any other things - cord, foot pedal, table surround, etc. to make the "package" as thin as possible. (presser foot in down position). Get on the plane as soon as you can and squish it under your seat - should fit if it goes on its side. If all else fails, ask the flight attendant if she can put it in the floor of the coat closet in first class, or behind the last row of seats in coach. If that's a no go, you can check it where they check the strollers and stuff at the end of the breezeway. They'll give you a tag, and you can write "fragile please!" on it - a guy will come up and load the tagged items right into the plane. Then you claim them at the same place when you disembark. That way there's no throwing. I do this all the time when I go to Asilomar (next month, yea!!) but I also do not take my prize baby, but an older model that I have cleaned and serviced before I go. Lastly, if you can, upgrade to business class using miles and you'll definitely have no problemos! I would not suggest trying to put it in overhead. That would be dangerous, (even if you can get someone to help you lift it). Security- wise, the only problems I've ever had were with stupid and curious agents (in Detroit, where they are always a pain - large Arab population) who actually swabbed it down to make sure I wasn't sewing any drug-laden fabric. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comment

I fly with my Janome Jem (a 3/4s machine) packed in the smallest Tutto. It is fairly light and fits in the overhead. I pack my scissors and other sewing tools in my checked baggage. The TSA crew have never asked me to even open the Tutto. They do seem to get a kick out of discovering it is a sewing machine as it moves through the xray machine.

I have also tried shipping my larger machine in its original box and styrofoam packaging, resulting in a crack in the machine's casing. Never again. If you can't fly with your machine, see if you can rent one at your destination.

Comment

I have shipped my Bernina to La Veta two times for retreat. I put two inch foam in the bottom of a large square box. Then I wrapped my machine (without case) in foam and then several layers of bubble wrap. Then I filled the box in around the machine with foam and my fabrics. It worked great both times. Hope this helps. Happy travels

Comment

I strongly adive you check with the airline you are flying with before you turn up with your machine and expect to take it on the plane yourself. Have the dimensions and the weight written down when you phone them, so that you can give them an of what you are talking about. Not every airline employee is a quilter.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Thank you all so much!!!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 60 users online. 0 members and 60 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X