[vb_main_1]

Washing quilts with Raw Edge Applique

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing quilts with Raw Edge Applique

Can anyone tell me how well a quilt with raw edge applique holds up to washing? I am considering making the Rhapsody quilt, but want it to be a usable quilt and not a wall-hanging. (I included this question in a post regarding the rhapsody quilt on a different forum, but haven't had answers).
    Thank you!

Berni,

I do a lot of raw edge applique and have for years. I use it not only for quilts that are mostly wall hangings (which I do wash at least one time), but also for wearable art (vests, jackets, and bags) and have had a lot of success with them doing well with repeated washings.

I have found over the years that making it hold up to multiple washings requires several things, and all of them Ricky does in his recent two part shows
    --choosing a good quality fusible and following the directions
    --proper thread and needle selection
    --good edge finishes

I use Steam-a-seam 2 lite, threads vary but mostly I use either superior or YLI, and I select the smallest good quality needle that will work well with the thread. I have lately introduced the double blanket stitch into my selection of edge finishes mostly because of seeing what Ricky does with it.

I think you would be really happy with the wash-ability of your rhapsody quilt if you use Ricky's methods.

Thank you Ricky!!!!!

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Thank you for your response! I feel more comfortable proceeding with this now.

Comment

Hey gang,

Bohemian Rhapsody has been wet about 6 times and actually washed about 3 times. It still looks great. The key is to use good quality fabric, a really good fusible, and then tight stitches. I use 2.0 x 2.0 length and width. If your machine allows for smaller increments, try 1.8 x 1.8 - that's what I most prefer. It is slow going with a double blanket stitch - not fast.

In the end I always always always say make a sample. Why not make a placemat size project with the exact fabrics, threads, fusible, etc. that you would use in your 'real' quilt. Then, just start putting it in with your laundry - marking it with a Sharpie tick mark for each washing. How many washings before it doesn't suit you. This really is the best way to determine usage. Even with all my experience, I'd rather not the the one to make that decision for you.

Comment

I like your idea of the Sharpie 'tick' for each washing! Ricky, you have the most down to earth sensible applicable 'brain' and therefore 'advice!'

Comment

Ricky, Thanks! Doing a test is a great idea! I'm glad you thought of that.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 74 users online. 0 members and 74 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X