[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Cleaning up your quilt top before sandwiching

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agnes, I would love to see your design wall system. I'm always willing to learn something new. I don't have a blank wall in my house for a design wall and I've thought about a free-standing one, but I don't really have a place to store one of those when not in use, either. So keeping one in a bin might be an option. How 'mini' is it? How does it stand up or 'display'? Do you have to keep it out until the quilt it done? Can I use it for a queen-size quilt?
    As to the quality of fabric, I find that it doesn't really matter where I buy my fabric from - I still get frayed edges. Maybe batiks don't fray, but I don't buy a lot of those.
    I don't have to crank out quilts. Between the family commitments and migraines (I get a LOT), I really only sandwich a few quilts a year. Last year, I sandwiched 3 small quilts, that didn't require any snipping, and 3 lap-size or larger, that needed some snipping. That really isn't that much snipping time in my life. If I was doing a quilt a month or a quilt every 2 weeks, it might be an issue, I guess.
    And Margo, when making your own starch, is there an odor at all? I think that's one of the things that's kept me from using starch, too. The store-bought starch stinks. My migraines make me extra sensitive to certain smells. And the thought of smelling it while spraying it, drying it, ironing it and sewing it - ugghhh. So before I brew a batch of homemade, I want to know what I'm in for... Thanks.
    -Tina

Comment

No, Tina, there is no smell to the Sta-Flo starch, but there are preservatives in it. For that reason, Diane Gaudynski prefers to use Argo cornstarch to make her own. She cooks hers, but because there are no preservatives, it has a short shelf life. Here is her recipe from her web site:

Try my recipe for spray starch for all your pressing/piecing needs. Remember, you can adjust any of these amounts to suit your own needs, and also don't keep this for more than two weeks max. I make up a batch when I need it, then dump it out when I'm finished. It produces a super flat stable quilt: Dissolve half a teaspoon (or one teaspoon for a stiffer starch) of regular Argo cornstarch (in your cupboard probably) in a few tablespoons of cold water in a heat proof 2-cup measuring pitcher like Pyrex. Add boiling water to make one cup, stirring constantly. Then add cold water to the 2 cup line. Let cool and use in a pump spray bottle. Shake it every time you spray. You may have to dilute it a little if it is too thick or builds up white flakes. Lasts a week or so as there are no preservatives, no chemicals, no nothing that harms us or the environment, and it’s practically free, except for the spray bottle! Don't starch fabrics for storage as it will attract critters such as centipedes, and mice.

I've also heard that you can just mix a couple of tablespoons of Argo cornstarch in a pint of tepid water and shake until dissolved before using. The ratio can be adjusted until you get the stiffness you want. I haven't tried either of these methods, but it would be worth a try if the prepared starches are a problem for your migraines.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks Margo! Diane's recipe sounds super simpe, but since I definitely don't want buggy critters finding my quilts, that method will have to wait until I know I can sew and finish a quilt in a timely manner (read: the kids have moved out :lol: ). I haven't tried Sta-Flo. When I first bought starch, I bought whatever I could find at my grocers -I didn't know one brand from another - and I've had it forEVER. But since you say Sta-Flo doesn't have a smell, I'll definitely try to find a small bottle of that and give it a go. I love having a guild - you're the best!
        -Tina

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire
          Thanks Margo! Diane's recipe sounds super simpe, but since I definitely don't want buggy critters finding my quilts, that method will have to wait until I know I can sew and finish a quilt in a timely manner (read: the kids have moved out :lol: ). I haven't tried Sta-Flo. When I first bought starch, I bought whatever I could find at my grocers -I didn't know one brand from another - and I've had it forEVER. But since you say Sta-Flo doesn't have a smell, I'll definitely try to find a small bottle of that and give it a go. I love having a guild - you're the best!
          -Tina
          Tina, I may have spoken too soon. I've never noticed a fragrance when I'm spraying the diluted starch, but I just went down and smelled the concentrate, and there is definitely a fragrance. :? You might want to see if you can borrow enough for a diluted bottle to try before you purchase a big ole jug of the concentrate.
          Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

I recently read that someone (I have forgotten who) gets unused pizza boxes to store her projects in. Of course, the kids may think there is actual pizza in there, so you may have to train them.

Comment

Tina- My mind was largely elsewhere when I wrote that reply about the "min" design boards so I wasn't specific enough. They are not for quilt tops but to be used during the block piecing process. They do not fold down. I have these in many sizes for different bins. A board needs a stiff material for the base and a fuzzy material for the front. Back--art core board, super heavy card, anything similar. The front--flannel, flannel backed vinyl tablecloth, felt, warm and natural batting. Glue or staple the two together. Sorry, obviously not what you were looking for.

Comment

Thanks Margo for the advice. I finished piecing my Stars for a New Day today. I am so excited! I am hoping to find someone to quilt it with a long arm. I have my fabrics picked out for the new BOM. I appreciate all of you. I have learned so much from reading everyone's post. I hope to get to quilt more this year. Happy Valentines Day everyone. Paula

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 73 users online. 0 members and 73 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X