[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Crayola Washable Markers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margo, you are a star!!! You always have a solution to our problems. We dont have Sta-Flo over here, but I will try the cooking starch method.

Thank you so much!!

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
      Watched those videos by Sharon Schamber on how to shrink a block and you have me convinced to use my starch more often.
      Here's the link that Ritzy is talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6aplw_tVZc

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Pam

I am in the middle of trying out Kershaw's traditional Starch, which I got from Lakeland yesterday, I followed the instructions (similar to Margo's) for making it up but only made a 1/4 size portion and it went through a spray bottle fine. Will be pressing it, when I shut down on the computer. With the ordinary spray starches we have, I found that the way to go was 'spray, then leave to soak in (about 15-30 mins) then iron. If this was not stiff enough, then spray/soak/iron again. Doing this cycle three times gave me fabric that was stiff enough to send through the printer without any backing paper.
        Leaving it to soak means that it doesn't sit on the surface and flake off when ironed.

Rosemary

Comment

Rosemary -

I would be afraid that the printer ink would stick to the starch instead of the fabric and then be washed off with the first laundering.

Have you tried washing the fabric which you starch well and then send thru your printer?

Have the printed areas held up well to laundering?

BethMI

Comment

Rosemary, Thank you for that info, it helps alot. I had been spraying the fabric, then as i was already soaking wet, I ironed it immediately. I didn't realised that leaving it to soak would stop the flaking. I did try Margo's suggestion of spraying the fabric, letting it dry, then steam ironing it. That worked fine. Thank you for your help.

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Originally posted by BethMI
              Rosemary -

I would be afraid that the printer ink would stick to the starch instead of the fabric and then be washed off with the first laundering.

Have you tried washing the fabric which you starch well and then send thru your printer?

Have the printed areas held up well to laundering?

BethMI
              YES! The starch sort of forms a barrier preventing some of the printer ink from getting into the fibers of the fabric, and it will all wash away.

You can use this information to your advantage! If you mark your quilting lines with a graphite pencil (instead of some kind of ink), they will easily wash away! In fact I marked a heavily starched whole-cloth baby quilt, and there were no marks left at all after it was laundered!

Comment

Beth,

The fabric I was printing, was with the Inklingo piecing shapes, so they were on the back of the fabric and it won't matter if they wash off, now the bag is made up (see on my profile bright green & reddish batiks).

I do have some samples of starched & printed fabric for checking for washability, but they are in a safe place at the moment, waiting to be washed :lol: . One is starched from one side, and another from both sides. I will try and remember to post my results, when I find them.

Rosemary

Comment

My Wal-Mart doesn't stock Sta-Flo starch but I discovered that Fred's carries it in quart size bottles. Guess items stocked varies from state to state.

Comment

I used a green fine-line Crayola washable marker on a baby quilt recently to mark for quilting lines. The quilt was a fine pink/beige stripe and pink/brown flowers for "windows". My quilt had numerous green marks under my quilting thread! I wonder what I did wrong? I used warm water and orvis soap to wash after quilting. Any ideas?

Comment

DO NOT USE SOAP FIRST! Soak the quilt in plain cool water first for about 15 minutes then spin all that water out.

Then you can launder as usual.

Comment

Hi Margo,
                        Thanks for that reminder, about rinsing first. I have been working on samplers with the markers, and I had been rinsing them, just because they are simple blocks. But I wouldn't have thought of that with my completed quilt.

Kathy in CA

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                          DO NOT USE SOAP FIRST! Soak the quilt in plain cool water first for about 15 minutes then spin all that water out.

Thank you! I have a quilt marked now with the markers. Thanks for the timely refresher. I was concerned that I was going to have a mess when I laundered the quilt. Once again, you are a life (or should I say "quilt") saver.

Coast of South Carolina USA
                          Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Originally posted by Margo

Definitely soaking in cool water is the ticket. Soap and any form of heat can set many things that can be removed with cool water. I have used the Crayola washable markers extensively for gridding counted cross stitch on Aida fabric and sometimes have to rinse it a couple of times until the water runs clear.

Comment

I knew not to iron but didn't know to rinse then use soap. When i have used the blue marking pens I couldn't get them out. Was told at a guild meeting to use orvus first. I guess I thought that was the rule in general. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Patt Blair has the results of an interesting experiment on testing marking removal products on her blog.

http://pattsart.blogspot.com/2011/02...g-removal.html

Mary Ellen's Stain Removal Formula 2 sounds like it might be worth having around. I wonder if it works on blood, for those times we prick the fingers & don't notice we're bleeding ;-(

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 151 users online. 0 members and 151 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X